Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » period pain...ow...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period pain...ow...
Member # 28303

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Blondie89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...My...(insert blasphemous word here)... I REALLY don't like the first day of my period. Like, I REALLY don't. The first day is really bad: my lower back aches like I'm 80 years old, I feel like I'm about to throw up, my tummy hurts really badly and my...*ahem* female parts (lol) seem to go into cramp...

HOW CAN I HELP THIS?!! Is there anything else that I can do other than lie in bed with a pillow pressed against my stomach and another one up against my back, groaning in time to my music? How has everyone ELSE managed to get away with hardly any pain?!

Speaking of which, my bed awaits... [Frown]

Posts: 9 | From: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prevention often tends to work with cramps best, unfortunately. And often, so long as there aren't any other medical conditions at hand, some simple lifestyle changes can help prevent cramps pretty decently. So, depending on your lifestyle, you may be able to avoid pain to this degree pretty easily next time.

For now, you can take an anti-inflammatory -- ibuprofen or naprosyn -- use a hot water bottle, take a hot bath. A workout can also often help, as can stretching out, rather than curling up.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet is deffinately right in that you should try lifestyle changes to prevent the bad periods before they show up. To add to her list of things to do when they are there, however: I usually have periods just as you're describing, and I've found that if I catch it early (ie I notice I've started bleeding, but the pain hasn't fully set in yet), it helps to relax, do a couple of stretches, make myself a warm drink, and then sit down infront of the computer with a heating pad on my stomach and drink that drink while I read jokes. If I can get myself to laugh--like belly-aching, hysterical laughter--then it usually takes the edge off. You'd think it would hurt, because it involves so much muscle, but it actually feels really dern good. Each roll of laughter cuts into the pain like breath of fresh air.

As far as your privates feeling like someone is squeezing them with an eyelash curler... Please, if you figure out a solution to that one, LET. ME. KNOW. lol

Also, I'm sure someone will suggest talking with your doctor/GYN about this, incase there's some sort of medical problem behind this, but again, they might just recommend you try some lifestyle changes. For me, I didn't notice any changes for a few months after I started making some adjustments, but after a while--though it didn't take away the painful periods--it did take a little bit of the edge off and if nothing else just prevented the worst of it from carrying over into Day 2. Hopefully you'll have a little more success. ; )

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 28413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackiekeouac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I get nasty cramps if I'm dehydrated, or not eating well. If you know your period's coming (well, you should do this all the time, but it's no fun) avoid junk food and drink lots of water. Don't eat lots of salty stuff either, because sodium helps retain water and makes you feel bloated.
Once the crimson tidal wave has crashed, try exercising, or taking a bath.
If all else fails, go for the chocolate..... [Wink]

Posts: 5 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 28288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mslutzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing regular exercise definitely helps. I had serious, SERIOUS cramps before I took up sports seriously. After doing sports for a few months though, my cramps totally ceased. It was a very dramatic change.

I realise that not everyone has this at home, but what I do besides the hot water bottle and hot drink (herbal tea is good, it helps you relax as well) is that I have these massage pads that vibrate I can stick anywhere. I stick them onto my lower back and it helps. After a nap and sometimes painkillers I feel a lot better.

You can also talk a walk, read a book, watch a funny movie, whatever distracts you from the pain is also a good idea.

Posts: 15 | From: CAN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that a hot water bottle works.
If your not busy and have about half hour to speare go get yourself a hot water bottle, go lie down on the bed and put it on your pain.
Its eases the pain off and if you read or watch a dvd or tv then you also take your mind of thinking about the pain i always do it and find it works x

Behind every great man is a great woman

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.