Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » STI?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI?
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -arsyn-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay.. lol this is going to be a little graphic. but i'm really worried.

for maybe four or five days now i've had a lot of burning, itching, swelling and redness around my vaginal opening and urethra, and especially in between the flaps of skin that i guess are part of the clitoral hood? those, and all the way around the entry is dry and swollen. also the entire area around the clitoris looks different.. big and ugly and fleshy, and the edges look torn and are very tender. like somebody grabbed a hold of it and pulled as hard as they could! =(

oh, and this is going to sound wierd. but in the really red/painful area inside the two flaps of skin, it looks and feels like they are covered in long, "angry" bumps. like taste buds that are long and very very irritated. i don't know if that is normal. but it IS very painful. it doesn't hurt to pee except that it flows between the flaps of skin and over that area, and burns a little.

i don't know what to do except try to keep clean. i can't see a doctor until the 22nd when i am having my abortion and getting examined and whatnot.. is there anything i can do until then to ease the pain/swelling/itching, or possibly start clearing this up on my own? could this be an STI? and could 7 more days be too long to wait to get this checked out by a doctor.

[ 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: -arsyn- ]

Posts: 35 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's likely an infection of some kind, but it's hard to say which, especially considering you have had STI risks. Have you ever had a yeast infection before?

I really would suggest you see a doctor ASAP. But if that is absolutely impossible, here's what I'd do in the interim.

1) Stay in loose cotton clothing, including your underwear.
2) When you bathe and wash, be insanely gentle, and use only warm water: skip the soap, as it's only going to irritate you further.
3) Weird as this is going to sound, get yourself some plain, organic yogurt. Use it as a poultice: in other words, coat the tissue of your vulva, even inside your vagina, with a thin layer of it: that likely will help with the irritation and work a bit to get your bits back in balance. Twice a day, rinse it off with warm water.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -arsyn-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay, thank you. no, i've never had a yeast infection before, that i know of, certainly never had anything like this happen! any feedback about the bumpy things?

with the yogurt, do you mean leave it on all day and rinse it off twice? or put it on for a few minutes and then rinse? (sorry if that seems like a stupid question, i've just never heard of anything like that before.)

also i'm worried about skipping the soap as that leaves me with a terrible smell haha. [Embarrassed]

[ 03-15-2006, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: -arsyn- ]

Posts: 35 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got a foul smell if you don't wash it down there - and I mean foul like fishy, not like musky, because vaginas on their own DO smell - then that points even more towards an infection of some kind.

In any case, the smell shouldn't be an issue because with things being less than 100% down there, you'll be wanting to skip any sexual contact at all until you get it all cleared up.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

yes but what about the yogurt and bumpies? =(
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can leave the yogurt on, just rinse it off and reapply twice a day. (Be warned: yogurt is soothing, but kinda messy.)

[ 03-16-2006, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

thank you.

what about the bumps though! lol

has anybody heard of this or what..

[ 03-16-2006, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: -arsyn- ]

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, we're not doctors. And even if we were, we couldn't give you a diagnosis over the net. So it wouldn't be helpful for people to start taking wild guesses [Smile] .

Miz S's suggestions are just to keep things more comfortable until the 22nd, if you really can't see a doctor before then.

I know it's worrying, but there are some things where only professional advice will do.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

haha okay. i was just wondering if that particular thing could mean it's an emergency or if it even sounds familiar to any one.
Kaybie87
Neophyte
Member # 28172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaybie87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is a bit late but here's a tip on the yogurt thing:

Take a tampon and dip it into the yogurt so its got a nice coating on it, and then leave it in for an hour or so. Its really soothing if a little awkward

--------------------
"too often, I have been the Lover
cursed to Love the F*****
and f*** the lover over " Raquel Ramirez, The women I have been

Posts: 17 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be aware, if you do use a tampon, you cannot forget about it. While it may be OK for an hour, I wouldn't leave it in any longer (as an alternative, you may use a tampon to get the yogurt inside you vagina, but not leave the tampon in. Saves some unecessary risktaking, you know?)

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.