Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Doctor thinks I have PID, but how?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doctor thinks I have PID, but how?
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 5 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went into the local women's clinic last Tuesday for what I thought would be a simple family planning appointment. I was actually very lucky that the women there are so thorough and care so much for teen's health! However, during the pelvic/pap smear the doctor was saying things like "oh, my, this is NOT normal." And she pulled out the swab and my discharge was florescent green, which I hadn't noticed because it stains my underpants yellow, which I thought was normal. She also pressed on my belly and pelvis, and I had pain. I had major surgery for ovarian cysts 5 or 6 years ago, so I thought that the pain could be due to psychological trauma or something.

Anyway, I know I'm ranting a bit, but this place is so supportive and full of great women. The doctor asked me about my sexual history, because she said the infection might be chylamida or gonnorrea. I told her, as I tell you, that I've been with the same guy for 2 years, both virgins, and always use condoms. She then said she highly suspected PID, and was so sure of it that she gave me an antibiotic shot and sent me home with lots of pills. I just read the article on PID on this and many sites, and they all seem to say it's sexually transmitted.. but how, in my case?

All I can do is wait for the pap results, and the doctor said she's so sure it'll come out abnormal that she went ahead and scheduled another appointment in a month. And of course I'm freaked out, because I always thought pap smears detected cancer!

Well, thank you for reading all of this, and any thoughts you kind people have would be appreciated!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pelvic inflammatory disease is most often caused by STIs like chlamydia or gonorrhea, yes, but ANY vaginal bacterial infection, if left long enough, has the potential of causing PID. Something like bacterial vaginosis, which is not always transmitted sexually, if left untreated could potentially cause PID. (Keep in mind, too, that being a virgin does not ensure that one does not have any STIs whatsoever. They're called sexually transmitted diseases because sex is ONE WAY they can be passed from person to person - not the only way. That's why it's good to get a full STI screen before becoming sexually active, and every year thereafter, even without any symptoms.)

About the pap - a pap smear tests for abnormalities in cervical cells. Obviously, cancer this is why cancer shows up, but cervical cell abnormalities do not always cancer make. Really, try not to be so freaked out about this - there's nothing you can do now and you're only going to stress yourself out.

[This message has been edited by karybu (edited 02-09-2006).]

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 10 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your quick reply. I didn't know that PID could be caused by bacterial infections in the vagina. That makes me really mad, because I went to a so-called professional gynecologist before becoming sexually active complaining of similar symptoms, and she would just say that she couldn't examine me because I was a virgin, and that it was absolutely impossible to have anything but a yeast infection if a virgin. Who knows how long it could have been brewing? Gr.

And I'll take your advice and promise not to start to worry unless I get a letter from the hospital. Thanks ^^

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad I could help. I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience before - glad you seem to have a better doctor now, who knows what she's doing. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.
Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, your partner, if he has not already, should also go and get a full STI screening. If you did have an STI previously, rather than a general infection, it's pretty likely if this was the only partner you have ever had for any sexual activity that the STI came from him.
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.