Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » About fingering...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About fingering...
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hi, I have posted several times on this site and I find it extremely helpful, however Im sort of confused whith all the fingering issue....

Ive read on the internet (including this site) that if someone has a little bit of precum on the fingers and then touches someones vagina there is a pregnancy risk....

Ive made several questions before about this issue and you (Scarleteen Staff) keep sayng that there is no pregnancy risk from the activities Ive mention.... Im confused now, some people say theres some risk, some others seem pretty sure theres no risk.

What is the truth??? Any comments are very welcome...

Thank you so much!

Posts: 92 | From: far away from you | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a risk when you KNOW there was pre ejaculate on the vulva.

In your posts, you said you were not sure if there was any or not ... If there was, you would know, because there would be a wet spot. Sperm cannot survive in dry conditions, and so any sperm in this pre ejaculate would be dead anyhow.

So, in short, if there was a wet spot, there would be no quesiton about it, you would know, and there would be a small risk. If you don't know, there probably wasn't any pre ejaculate there to begin with, and thus, no significant risk, and EC is not required.

This is why we suggest condoms for all sexual activity; not only do they reduce STI risks, they reduce pregnancy risks.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if I insist, but if someone┤s wet before getting manual sex, haw can she tell if there was the wet spot you just mentioned?
Posts: 92 | From: far away from you | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can't.

This is why simple handwashing before manual sex -- and to avoid infections, too -- is the best thing to do. Or latex gloves. Both are total no-brainers.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

My big question is:

Is it actually safe to get a hand job (speaking about pregnancy risk) eventhough one isnt 100% sure there was not precum at all???

It is really important for me to understand the concept...

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what's bee unclear here.

If your male partner has CLEAN, washed hands, or is wearing latex gloves, one can reliably say there is exactly NO pregnancy risk. So yes, in that case it would be 100% risk-free when it comes to pregnancy.

If your male partner did NOT have those things, and has had contact with his penis very recently before manual sex with you, no, we cannot say it is 100% risk-free of pregnancy. We can say pregnancy from manual sex is not impossible, but is pretty unlikely, especially if there was not ejaculate. Saying anything else wouldn't be accurate, because any exposure to ejaculate or pre-ejaculate creates a risk of pregnancy.

And most of all -- and after this, there really isn't anything more to say on the matter -- we can tell you that if you WANT it to be free of pregnancy risks , and also to carry a very reduced STI risk, then you should ONLY engge in manual sex with a partner who HAS washed his hands first or is wearing latex gloves.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

Ok got I it,
But if there is this tiny chance of pregnancy, why did you say that EC is not necessary?

Heather
Member # 3

I don't recall what your specific situation was, but if I said that, it was because your level of risk wasn't high enough to warrant EC, especially given EC is not 100% effective.
sparkleflower
Neophyte
Member # 26866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkleflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There normally isn't sperm in pre-ejaculate, unless he hasn't urinated since he last ejaculated.

I think the risk here is pretty much nil. You don't have anything to worry about :-)

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really not the case, sparkleflower. There's no way of knowing whether or not there is sperm in pre-ejaculate, so it's always a good idea to assume that there is and practice safer sex.
Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkleflower
Neophyte
Member # 26866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkleflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, because you can't know for sure whether your partner has urinated since last ejaculating. But it's still a very minimal risk.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey sparkleflower, enough. You've already been given a warning by Miz. Scarlet about posting incorrect information, but going through this forum, you've posted in almost every active topic, either reposting information or posting incorrect info. Please stop. If you have nothing new to add, do not do so. It eats space in the servers and does not help anyone.

There can be sperm in pre-ejaculate. That is a fact. And there is NO way to know. So, there is a risk. And any risk is not good; so, better to be protected than even expose yourself to that risk, big or small.

------------------
Help yourself by helping the world
It's a pretty good day, I'm looking for tomorrow; I had a pretty good day, yeah, I had a good day

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.