Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pain during Intercourse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pain during Intercourse
Necklace
Neophyte
Member # 26736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Necklace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the article on the front page of the website about painful intercourse and searched for this specific question but I didn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask. Although I'm very aroused before having penetrative sex and using lube, I find that it is painful. To be specific, the pain is at the vaginal opening. I'm not sure what could be causing this. At first I thought it might be my hymen but after having sex for more than six months I doubt it is still that. What could be causing pain specifically at the opening of my vagina?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be a lot of things, but in this case, a visit to an OB/GYN would be in order. It is possible to have issues with the hymen, though it is rare.

If you're using plenty of lube and are aroused, there shouldn't be pain. But since there is, a visit to your doctor would be best.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Necklace
Neophyte
Member # 26736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Necklace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for your response, DarkChild717. I did go to the doctor about 4 months ago for this problem and she told me that I should try to "stretch out" my vaginal opening with my fingers and she said I should do it everyday. That honestly sounded a bit weird and dodgy to me. I didn't last very long doing that because it didn't really seem to be helping or to be a very good idea. Does that sound weird to anyone else or would that actually help if I kept it up? Maybe I need a new doctor?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not exactly sound advice.

The vagina doesn't stretch. Well, it does, but not in that sense. Like other muscles, it will return to its normal state. So, if you are aroused, it will loosen, the cervix will move back slightly, etc. But it doesn't stay like that forever. So telling you to stretch it won't exactly help.

You said the pain is at the opening of your vagina? Is there any inflammation, itchiness, redness, etc? When was the last time you had a full OB/GYN exam? Has this always been occuring, or did it just start? Do you know what is normal looking for your genitals?

I would go to a different doc. If the advice that you get isn't sound or is a little wierd, get another opinion.

------------------
Help yourself by helping the world
It's a pretty good day, I'm looking for tomorrow; I had a pretty good day, yeah, I had a good day

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 12-30-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Necklace
Neophyte
Member # 26736

Thanks for the advice JamsessionVT. I didn't think my doctor's advice was very good either! Just to answer the questions you asked me, maybe it'll help! There isn't any itchiness, redness or inflammation and everything looks normal for my vagina. However, the vaginal opening and surrounding area do feel and look inflamed, raw and red after intercourse. And this has happened since I started engaging in intercourse 6 months ago. The last time I had a full gynecologist exam was about 4 months ago and that's when my doctor gave me the weird advice. I do think it's weird that it feels and looks raw and inflamed after sex.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did your doctor say your vagina needed stretching, or your hymen? That's an important distinction, which is why I ask.

The hymen wears away slowly, usually through childhood and adolescence, but some hymens are more resilient -- less likely to do that easily -- than others, and in those cases, yes, some "stretching" can be helpful. And if that's the case, then yeah, even with lube and high arousal, you may have some irritation. (And remember, not all hymens look alike, and even after intercourse for a while, as I said above, some partial hymens can stick around.)

I'd say your best bet would be to get a second opinion from a different gynecologist. It might be sage when seeking one out to ask for one who also has some background in sexual pain or difficulties: not all do.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.