Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Missed Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed Pill
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I tried to find this using the search function but I didn't find it so I'm really sorry if it's already been answered! I took my birth control pill (Marvelon) late by 12 hours. I am in the first week of the pills, the second day actually. Do I need to use a back-up method of birth control? My partner and I have both had the requisite 2 STI screenings that came back clear and we're monogamous. And if I do need to use a back-up method, how long do I have to use it for?
Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you should. It's recommended that you wait at least one month of being on the pill before you rely on it alone.

STI/STD screens are irrelevant. The pill does not protect you from them. Only a condom can help. You should wait 6 months between negative screens. If you and your partner still show up negative in 6 months, then you can be pretty sure that neither of you have anything.

Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, thanks for the answer but I think my question was really really unclear so I'm gonna rephrase. I'm on the second pill of this pack but I've been on the pill for 2 years. So my question is do I have to use a back-up method of birth control if I've missed a pill in the first week of this pack?
Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12 hours is a pretty big gap for missing a pill, so it's likely to have an effect on the effectiveness. Most pill inserts say use a backup method for the next 7 days, but it wouldn't hurt to use condoms until the next pill pack, just to be on the safe side.
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

I just checked the pill insert, thanks for mentioning this wobblyheadedjane, I hadn't thought of it! In the insert it says that if the missed pill was during the first week of the pack then you don't have to use a back-up method at all. I wonder if that's being a bit optimistic of the birth control company?
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no... if you've been on the pill continuously for over a month, then you probably have a pretty good amount of the hormones in your body. Though it's probably better to be safe than sorry!
Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At twelve hours, I think you'd be pushing it a bit much there. Indeed, my pill pack specifically says if my pill is taken more than 3 HOURS late, consider it compromised.

I think condoms until you start your nezt pack would be your safest bet.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.