Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » urinary problems...all the time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: urinary problems...all the time
RageAgainstU
Neophyte
Member # 14199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RageAgainstU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that I come to this site a lot with my problems and it always answers my questions. It's a secondary opinion from a doctor which I can't go to because I don't have any insurance. So any advice anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Ever since I can remember, I've always had problems peeing. I can't stand it anymore. It's not everytime I urinate, oh no. But often, probably a few times a week, I'll go to the bathroom, and sure enough, I'll pee and it's painful. I remember coming home from school in 7th grade everyday. I would pee once (except for when I woke up), and it would be then, and it would be extremely unbearable. I partially think it was due to lack of water, but even when I was a younger kid I would have this problem where I would go to the bathroom, and it would be so incredibly painful.

That's not really my question, but kind of background information.

Recently I've started having sex again. I know I don't have any STD/STI's, and I'm completely clean. Problem is, I got this awful UTI (i think) and I don't know why I'm so susceptible. I don't understand why I always have so much trouble having sex and getting UTIs. It hurts sometimes when I have intercourse, but I solved the probably by reading your site (From OW! to Wow! etc..). What could be causing the painful urination, besides from all that bacteria talk? I mean, physically, if my urinary tract was closer to my vaginal opening, couldn't that also be a reason? What about clitoral stimulation? I realize the clitoris is really close to the urinary opening, so how do those tie together?

The fact that bacteria could be pushed up inside my urethra during sex generally does not seem like my problem. I'm clean. But in order for urination to not be painful, I have to drink a million tons of water. I realize irritation due to dehydration could be my problem but GRR why is my urethra so much more sensative than other women's?

Like I said, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 33 | From: Cheshire, CT, US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, chronic cystitis is still something of a mystery to the mdical world. There are amny women who, like you, have chronic UTIs and other urinary issues, and at this time, there aren't a whole lot of answers.

I do think you're misunderstanding, though, the issue of being free of STIs and of bacteria getting into the urinary tract. One really has nothing to do with one another, because our bodies are often covered in bacteria. So, with two partners free of STIs, you can still wind up with UTIs from sex just because of normal bacteria in your partners pubic hair, on fingers, etc.

Here's what I'd suggest.

You're uninsured, but have you at least visited a sliding scale clinic? Can you apply for state medical care? Look that up. If you can find one who will also do an ultrasound to look for possible culprits like a bladder stone or kidney stones or a urtheral blockage, that's even better. Sometimes, the culprit is internal, not external.

Per daily habits, keep up with the water. try adding a daily cranberry supplement to that, as well as a daily acidophilus supplement.

With sex, if it's manual sex, be sure your partner is either washing hands first or using latex gloves. using a barrier for oral sex also would be smart right now.

All of that is what I would say are the best starting points for you.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to that--cranberry supplements can be found in the drugstore, usually in the 'natural' supplements section. Acidophilus should be purchased refrigerated to be more effective, and can be found in natural foods/health stores.
Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.