Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » dangers with stopping the pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dangers with stopping the pill?
kd
Neophyte
Member # 17831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,
I'm currently on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, but I'm going home in a week or so and planned to stop taking the pill while I was at home, for fear of parental lynching (plus, there's no potential sex that could be occurring there, therefore I don't need to be taking it anyways). I was wondering if there's a health risk involved with stopping it and then starting it again when I get back to school. Is it very common to skip periods as well when you get off it? If so it's probably better I continue taking it, since my mother loves keeping track of my periods and I certainly don't need to give her a pregnancy scare. Thanks a lot.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kd
Neophyte
Member # 17831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I'm sorry--I've been taking the pill for about 2 months now; I'm not sure if that makes a difference in terms of likeliness in skipping periods after stopping.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going off the pill or any form of hormonal birth control is very unpredictable. From what you're describing, you might be better off continuing to take the pill daily than go off it. If you want to avoid potential questions, make sure you keep your pill pack on your person, and be inconspicuous when taking the pill, if you must.

The best person to discuss this with is your doctor who prescribed the pill. They can better assist you and give you better advice, as they know your medical history.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kd
Neophyte
Member # 17831

That's what I thought, honestly. I discussed it with my dad, and he's baffled to why I'd be taking it in the first place since I don't have a partner. I wanted to take it to be prepared for if/when I do. He was uneasy but not angry, but said don't take it when I come home because I will never get it past mom. Hopefully if I keep it on me I can do it, though. Thanks a lot.
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless your father has gone through medical school, I don't think he's in a position to tell you whether or not to take a prescribed medication.

Why did you go on the pill? You said to be prepared, but were there other reasons? If you can identify those, and your parents ask, then you might be prepared.

Also, you might want to let them know that just because you're on BC does not mean that you're having sexual intercourse.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kd
Neophyte
Member # 17831

That's true, but at the same time I don't want them to worry or have to deal with the yelling/punishment that would follow--because of course they would assume I'm off screwing any guy that moves, which isn't true. That was the main reason--in case I have sex, that is; I'm not whoring myself out to the masses!--but I suppose I can use the acne reasoning as well because I was sincerely hoping it would help that (it hasn't too much, unfortunately).
The thing with telling them I'm not having sex is that they won't believe me. Dad seems to be, but my mom will never, ever believe me--unfortunately that's just the way she is. So I'm hoping I can just hide it; I really don't want to worry her or make her upset... but, as dad said, I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions now. It's not hurting me, and I'm being careful, so I don't see the problem.

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Your mother might have a hard time believing her daughter is growing up, but your father seems to have a mostly level head on his shoulders, by acknowledging that you are in fact an adult.

However, should your mother ask, tell her the truth, inform her you are an adult making adult decisions, and hope for the best. Hopefully she'll respect that. If it comes up.

You mentioned you were at school--who's paying your tuition? It's interesting that you're not living at home and yet still have to deal with punishments.

Per the acne, it will take another few cycles for you to see a difference. I personally had better luck getting rid of the acne using the Patch, but there's some new issues coming up with that, so it might not be the best choice right now.

kd
Neophyte
Member # 17831

My parents are paying the tuition, so I have that looming over my head at all times--I'm not REALLY independent. Not that I could ever dream of affording this on my own, so my main goal is to not upset them to the degree where being pulled out would be a result. I don't think they ever would do such a thing, but if they were upset enough they'd find some way to make life very difficult.
(Either that or my guilt complex is driving me insane again, but that's an entirely different issue...I have trouble with disconnecting myself from being affected by my parents so greatly.)

I just hope it doesn't come up, honestly. Family life has been pretty stressful for all lately, and I don't want to add to it with something that I don't perceive as a big deal.

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Do you pay for your own BC? If you do, then if it comes up, point that out to your parents. Let them know that it isn't their money paying for it.

If your school has a counselor of some sort, you might want to talk to them a bit about disconnecting yourself a bit from your parent's influence. It'll help in the long run.

All in all, I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

kd
Neophyte
Member # 17831

I do pay for it, yes. Money never really seems to be much of a factor in terms of them caring less about what I do. As for counseling... we'll see, I suppose. I'm going home in a week so I don't think I can go before then anyways. I've gotten a bit better as time has gone on here, but it's still... not great. But I feel guilty sometimes because...well, they're my PARENTS. I don't know. They know better than I do a great deal of the time.
Hopefully everything will work out okay...

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parents do know lots ... I'll give them that I've found that as i've gotten older, i tend to go to my parents more for advice now than i ever did while i was living at home ...

That all said, you get to a point where only you know what's best for you. You have to learn to trust in your own instincts and judgement. You sound like a smart cookie to me ... Make a choice, and stand up for your choices.

Good luck!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.