Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Girls and Masturbation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Girls and Masturbation
BlueSpark
Neophyte
Member # 26267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueSpark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering, do girls masturbate too? All my friends say no. All the girls say they don't.
Posts: 10 | From: Brooklyn,NY,USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deunan Knute
Neophyte
Member # 25996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deunan Knute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, girls masterbate too, although I personally don't cause I find touching myself to be a big turn off.
Posts: 23 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do, more than people think.

Maybe even those who say they don't do, but are afraid what people might think of them. A lot even start at an early age.

Read a bit around the site, you'll find your answer

Love,
Leni

------------------
dive into shine, even a deep darkness changes into shine, because i am believing the moment

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Girls masturbating is just as frequent as boys. They get just as much pleasure out of it, it is just as common and it is just as acceptable. With boys it is talked about a lot more because many girls still feel that it is a taboo subject for them, but I promise you that the majority of women masturbate in their life. It is not wrong or unhealthy or bad for women to do.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueSpark
Neophyte
Member # 26267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueSpark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm a bit excited at the thought. Hehe. Do girls really do it as often as guys? I heard in Bio class that girls take longer to be fulfilled. My teach said some take 45 min. Where do they get the time?

[This message has been edited by BlueSpark (edited 11-24-2005).]

Posts: 10 | From: Brooklyn,NY,USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
read about masturbation!
  • http://www.scarleteen.com/boyfriend/masturbate.html
  • http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/masturbate.html
  • http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/goingblind.html

always read the articles before asking. we cover the basics pretty thoroughly. enjoy!

------------------
    LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
    Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
    1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 11-24-2005).]

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • NobodySaidItWasEasy
    Activist
    Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    It is a complete myth that girls take 45 minutes to orgasm. Masturbation or any other sexual activity can be as long or as short as is desired. Girls can orgasm in any number of minutes, hours, or even any number of seconds. It is mininformed to say that they take any longer than guys.

The only reason that girls are thought to take longer is that some girls don't really know what pleases them. They feel inhibited and uncomfortable with their bodies so they don't explore, and so they can't always get "results" from masturbation. But masturbation isn't all about the orgasm. In fact, an orgasm takes place in the mind - not just physically - so really a girl orgasms whenever her mind is stimulated to that point.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Heather
    Executive Director & Founder
    Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Actually, it's not misinformed to say that, though the difference is very slight.

Statistically, it generally IS shown that it takes women slightly longer to reach orgasm than men (especially when women are partnered with men, during partnered sex), but the difference is within a few minutes of one another once stimulus has begun and again, these are averages, meaning that there will also be women who generally reach orgasm in less time than men.

There are a LOT of theories why that is, and no one can say with any real authority that it is because of inhibition or sexual discomfort, because we can't really do a study which quantifies something like that and then remove it from the equation to test that theory. Might that be the case with some women? Absolutely. But it might also be due to a LOT of things, including physiological differences, what activities are going on, wanting to extend the time before climax, a very, very large list of factors. I assure you that after more than 20 years of very uninhibited partnered sexual life, with partners of all genders, lord knows how much masturbation, and a work-life which has me more comfortable with sex, alone and with partners, than the vast majority of the populace that it STILL often takes me longer to reach orgasm than most male partners I have had or may have, were we to start masturbating at the same time and clock it, on average. Plenty of men I've heard from via work and been involved with in my life grew up GROSSLY uncomfortable with their bodies and sexuality, and yet, could/can still squeeze one off in a couple minutes.

As well, given how the sexual response cycle works, someone going from zero to orgasm in a few seconds -- male or female -- would be highly unlikely.

(As well, what you said in your last para wasn't exactly accurate, either. orgasm is primarily a brain event, meaning the brain and central nervous system, not the intellect, per se. So, when a person of any gender reaches orgasm, it is when their brain and nervous systems -- thus why physical stimulus is often necessary for most to orgasm -- are stimulated to that point.)

Please be careful telling people they're misinformed and why: if you're going to do it, it's a really good idea to check a few reliable resources first, at the very least.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 11-24-2005).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    NobodySaidItWasEasy
    Activist
    Member # 24765

Miz, you always jump down my throat. I would say it's just as misinformed to be teaching a Bio class that women take 45 minutes, but you pick on me, not him. I don't have any authority on the subject and I know it, but at least I'm putting some info out there to help him on his way.
    Heather
    Executive Director & Founder
    Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    I did not jump dow your throat.

I corrected MISinformation which you gave, which isn't helpful. This poster reported what he was told, in an inquiry to find out if that was correct, assuming what he was told was. That it not the same thing as posting information knowing you don't know if it's so. It's just not helpful to do that, and it is part of my job, as the owner and manager of the site, to do what I can to give out factual information which has been reserached and which we do know to be accurate, very reliably. Had I gotten to this post first, I would have done so. Since you did, there was then misnformation which needed correcting, on all parts. And his teacher didn't post here.

(I understand wanting to be helpful, and we always appreciate posters attempting to do that. But just as we tell new volunteers when they become moderators, the best course of action when one does not know the answer to a question, or thinks they do, but knows it to only be opinion, is to leave it for someone else who does know the answers (or hey: go do some research for a couple hours to find the answers if you're curious -- it's always enriching to do that anyway). Or, if you want to contribute, to just make clear that these are things *you* think, not facts or anything proven to be so. Misnformation doesn't help anyone, and his teachers statements were no more inaccurate than some of yours.

------------------
    Heather Corinna
    Editor & Founder, Scarleteen
    ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen
    "You have to love women who are brave enough to do things so big in a world where women are supposed to be so small." - Andrea Dworkin

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    BusyBee0517
    Neophyte
    Member # 26191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BusyBee0517     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    actually i sure seems you are jumping down everyone's throats from the posts i read and its starting to make me not wanting to come to this site anymore where basically you insult everyone for being wrong in a mean manner.
    Posts: 9 | From: Youngstown, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    LilBlueSmurf
    Scarleteen Volunteer
    Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Whether or not Miz Scarlet is a big meanie is not up for debate here.

If you have issues regarding the staff and/or boards, you can email boards@scarleteen.com. Issues of this nature are not to be discussed on the boards; this is not their purpose.

Thanks.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
    Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.