Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » period info for guys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period info for guys
emptyness
Neophyte
Member # 26045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emptyness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I just wanted to learn a little bit more about periods. Just curious as to what exactly is going on, I just want to know how the cycle works. (not pms, don't really believe in that.)
Posts: 19 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! Welcome to scarleteen!

I'm so glad you're seeking out information on this, rather than coming to conclusions yourself. It's encouraging.

Here's some links from our main page that will help you in your understanding. They're also written much better than I could do in a post, so have a look!

On the Rag
Pink Parts: Female Sexual Anatomy

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's great you're seeking information but perhaps a little close-minded to say that you don't really believe in PMS? Even if it's not a textbook medical condition, enough women suffer from it for it to be believable!

You can't say that you don't believe in something just because you youself don't have those sort of hormonal swings in the month. It would be like me saying that I don't believe in pre-cum.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody--There's questions in Acadmeia as to the validity of PMS, too. It's also taken a life of it's own. It's used everywhere as a catch-all excuse, when in fact it's something completely different.

I have my doubts about it, too.

(And my period is due in about two weeks.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was quite unfair for a guy to make such a blanket statement.

If I'm telling you that I suffer from tension before my period, then I stuffer from tension before my period! I'm not lying.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that was DarkChild's point. The facts are that PMS is used as an excuse by many women for everything nowadays. A girl asks her friend a question, and the friend responds with attitude and snark. Saying that that girl is acting "PMS-y" is a classic excuse for her behavoir, whether it's around her period or not.

Saying you don't believe it is perfectly fine (as is saying you do!) So be careful with how you defend you points; it's obvious that DarkChild isn't a male, and she has doubts about PMS, as do I (and I am female). Is it unfair for us to make that statement? Not really. So let's not make this a huge hooha about something so silly, shall we?

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 11-21-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Yeah well maybe I'm making a booha cos I'm PSM-ing
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you what, Nobody.

I'll give you that if the guy saying that has or does EVER feel or express that he, or many other man, is in ANY way deeply effected by the hormonal changes and surges in his body that yeah, it's dismissive and unfair, as well as likely uninformed and sexist.

And I think you can, in that light, be reasonable in makigng that assessment on your part, then.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emptyness
Neophyte
Member # 26045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emptyness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't think that was DarkChild's point. The facts are that PMS is used as an excuse by many women for everything nowadays."

That's exactly my point also. I just meant that I knew that it wasn't medically proven. I just wanted to show that I'm not one of those guys who thinks as soon as a girl is bitchy that she has pms.

Posts: 19 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is and it isn't, is the thing.

It IS medically proven -- and an obvious physiological fact -- that a woman's body goes through hormonal changes during ALL aspects of her fertility cycle, including before menses, which can (as any homronal changes in anyone can) have an effect on her moods and behaviour.

That is actually not in question by any medical source: it really can't be, as without those hormonal events every month, ovulation and menstruation would not occur. To question the physiology of that is to question that ovulation and menstruation occur at all, which would be farcical and ludicrous.

What IS in question is HOW profound those effects can be, and how much of those effects are due TO those hormonal changes alone, and how much due to other health, lifestyle and mental health issues in conjunction with them or separate from them. What is also a very large and pertinent question in regard to this is how much accountability FOR any behvaiour due to these changes we are going to give the hormones and the woman herself.

(Let's also not conflate exactly how many women "use PMS as an excuse for everything." The media and general entertianment represents women as doing such far more than most women actually do.)

Some recent findings on PMS: http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/114/111183.htm "A new study shows that women who experience no menstrual mood changes use parts of their brain differently than women who have PMS (premenstrual syndrome), a condition marked by mood swings prior to menstruation in addition to other symptoms. "
http://www.connpost.com/womanwise/ci_3204655 "Many women seek treatment for their premenstrual suffering, often by taking birth control pills, which control PMS symptoms by suppressing ovarian activity. Until recently, there hadn't been much evidence to back up the effectiveness of oral contraceptives in treating PMS. However, a recent study led by researchers at the Yale University School of Medicine shows that a low-dose oral contraceptive is an effective treatment for premenstrual dysphoric disorder, the most severe form of PMS."
http://www.cornellsun.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/11/08/43704aa109c6c “Even in women who do not report mood swings, there are changes in the brain,” Silbersweig said, who, along with his team, used a functional MRI imaging index to “develop a paradigm that looks at emotional responses in the brain, and also behavioral responses, and the intersection of the two.” Similar on that here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4371228.stm

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 11-21-2005).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.