Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Im ready, now what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Im ready, now what?
darkwing
Neophyte
Member # 23636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay hi everyone, im a 21 y/o girl, thas has been in a steady relationship for few months now. My b/f and i decided to start our sex life, i even went to the gyno and got an Alesse prescription. I havent started using it coz im soooo scared about the pregnancy risk, i mean, i know its minimum, but its still there. And well, even though im 100% ready to start a sex life, im 0% ready to have a baby. So i want to know if theres a backup system for the pill (pls not condom). My other question is, why if you use the pill perfectly, theres still some risk ( you may not be doctors but just an idea). Well Thanks very much =)
Posts: 20 | From: santo domingo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Backup for the pill is pretty much a diaphragm or condoms. But the pill itself is about 99.9% effective with perfect use. Why exactly don't you want to use condoms - remember, condoms protect against STI's. The pill does not.

I'm not sure about the minute risk with perfect use. I would imagine it would have to do with how your body reacts to the hormones, and also takes into account things like throwing up soon after taking a pill, etc. which can lower effictiveness - but I'm NOT sure on that. Perhaps one of the mods can give a more accurate response.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darkwing
Neophyte
Member # 23636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i decided to pass on the condom coz i guess the feeling is not the same for the female(dont know for the man). Also my bf and i tested negative for AIDS and he also had other STDs tested and negative, so were clean =). About the diaphram i didnt know u could use it in conjunction with the BCP,ill go research myself now. Thanks a lot =)
Posts: 20 | From: santo domingo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want an honest opinion?

From someone who has had MANY sexual partners, and has fluid bonded with two?

There is zippo difference in feeling when using condoms. Really. The only difference we found was cleaning up afterwards - obviously, condoms made it much much easier. Even my male partners agreed that there was no difference.

Furthermore, just because he's clear doesn't mean you are. You BOTH need testing, and you both need testing again in six months before you should consider yourself clear of STI's and skip condoms. Even if you are a virgin, remember, some STI's are spread non-sexually.

Just some food for thought. And yes, any non-hormonal method can be used in conjunction with the pill, if you so feel. So while it wouldn't be okay to use, say, the pill and the patch, the pill and condoms/diaphragms/cervical caps would be viable options.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darkwing
Neophyte
Member # 23636

thanks ladydexter for the advice. Can i ask you something.what do u currently use for contraception?
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

When I do engage in intercourse, presently, I am on the mini-pill Noriday (had a bad reaction to the combined pill), and I double up with condoms, as anyone I am with presently, I will not have been with long enough to verify they're STI free.

However, presently I am not sexually active, so it's just the mini-pill for me for now. When I am again though, pill and condoms. I need the extra peace of mind a backup method provides.

darkwing
Neophyte
Member # 23636

Thanks a lot for everything girl == I'll follow your advices, and of course,ill use the backup method, probably the condom, coz i was reading about the diaphragm and it looks too messy and complicated.But of course id love to try without condoms now and then =). Merci beaucoup!

Peace.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.