Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pills and first time q's... :]

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pills and first time q's... :]
Girl With No Name
Neophyte
Member # 22401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl With No Name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey everyone..!
so.. my bf and i have been together for 8 months now, and we were talking of having sex. we've made out, touched each other, used our fingers, but now we're thinking about intercourse. we're both virgins, and i haven't had any sexual experience before. he's had a girlfriend before, and i dont know how far they went, but they haven't slept together.. the question is- if i'm on the pill, do we still need to use some other form of protection seeing as we're both virgins?
secondly- i'm taking a certain type of pill (valette). i started taking it on the last day of my period 3 weeks ago, and i am wondering whether i can trust it to function properly, since i heard u're supposed to start taking it in the first days of ur period.. (btw- the doc said i should start then and there..) if i do stop the pill now (as u should after 3 weeks) and start again next week, can i trust it?
sorry for the length, and thanks a lot in advance!

Posts: 13 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow... | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to your first question, unless you and your partner have been monogamous for at least 6 months, practicing safer sex during that time, and have tested clean twice, it's not a good idea to even consider going without a barrier method. If neither of you have had any sexual contact with anyone else before, your STD risk would be lessened, but certainly not gone completely. There are some STDs that can be passed without sexual contact. Herpes, for example, can be passed through a nice kiss from your granny (assuming she had herpes, of course), and then you've got it and you can pass it on to your partner. So going without barriers will always carry risk. Also, it's worthwhile to remember that no method is 100%, so even with perfect use (taking the pill at the same time each day, etc) the pill is not 100% guaranteed. So if you truly want to be as well protected against pregnancy as possible, it would be wise to back up your pill with another method like condoms.

We generally advise waiting at least one full cycle before considering your pill to be fully effective. The pill is designed to provide protection during all four weeks of your cycle, so even during your off week where you will have your withdrawl bleed, you will be protected. All of this is assuming that you are taking your pill correctly (everyday, at the same time, not doing or taking anything that would interfere with it's functioning, etc.), of course.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl With No Name
Neophyte
Member # 22401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl With No Name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank u!
eek, guess i gotta bring up the whole condom issue again! :-S
i still have one doubt though...
so the pill should be affective after this one cycle, even if i didn't start taking it on the first day of my period last month?

Posts: 13 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow... | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the condom thing, would be wise to discuss both of you being tested as well.

As long as you have been taking the pill correctly and have not had any significant side effects that would interfere (i.e. some women experience vomiting after beginning the pill), you should be protected after one cycle.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl With No Name
Neophyte
Member # 22401

thanks very much..!
me and the dude shall have a serious conversation soon..

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.