Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth Control: Scared.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control: Scared.
fille_francaise
Activist
Member # 20075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fille_francaise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about getting on BC for a while now, but now I'm actually starting to consider it. My boyfriend & I have been together for almost 3 years, & I think it would be wise to take that step to a better & healthier sexual relationship with him. Too many times have we had unprotected sex, & I want to make this decision for the benefit of both of us. Also, for the past 5 periods, my cramps have seemed to worsen to the point where I feel faint & cannot stand... it never used to be like this, & I can't take it anymore. So BC would help regulate my periods & lessen the cramps.

I just recently turned 18, & even though I'm no longer a minor, getting it through my parent's insurance can't happen; they wouldn't let me get on BC, even inspite of me having terrible periods. So, I'd have to go discreetly through a clinic to get them. I don't necessarily want to do that though, because if health problems arise, I want to be able to be honest with my parents & let them know what's going on. I want to be honest about my decision, which I feel is pretty serious. I've heard about girls getting really sick, sometimes to the point where they become infertile because their bodies reject the pill. I've heard about gaining a lot of weight, getting acne & having terrible mood swings. All of those things are making me question my decision to be on it, because that seems like a lot to go through all for the sake of lessen my cramps & having better, safer sex.

I guess all I'm asking is for some advice on Birth Control... everything I need to know about it. I know there are some articles on here somewhere. & if there is any advice on the things that I have mentioned, please help me out.

Posts: 138 | From: Southern California, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are all sorts of free clinics around that you can visit. And I highly doubt any physicial will put on on a form of birth control, and stand by and let nasty sypmtons happen. If a doctor does do that, than they probably shouldn't be practicing.

Now then. There are a couple different versions of hormonal birth control, the most common being the pill. Even then, I can think of at least five different pills, with different levels of hormones, of the top of my head. That doesn't even include generics. Margaret Sanger’s Disneyland covers the most common forms of birth control, including the pill, Nuva ring, and depo-provera.

If you do choose to go to a clinic, try and find one that operates on a sliding scale. They may or may not charge you, depending on your financial situation.

As for side-effects, they differ from person to person. I did not experience weight gain on the pill, but other girls I know did. I actually had hardly any acne at all when I was on the patch, but I got cramps, though they weren't bad at all.

Your best bet is to talk with a doctor who knows your body. He or she can help you best with what ever decision you make. You've got lots of options! Don't be afraid to ask!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.