Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pill & sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pill & sex?
brown_eyed_girl
Neophyte
Member # 24855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brown_eyed_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it OK to have unprotected sex on the last day of placebo pills of the first month of taking BC pills? Am I protected against pregnancy now, or do I have to wait till I start my 2nd pack?

I am aware of STI risks with no condom, but both of us are STI-free and in a monogamous relationship, so it's not an issue.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do usually recomend to wait one full cycle before counting yourself protected by the pill, but give or take a day, you'd probably be okay.
Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brown_eyed_girl
Neophyte
Member # 24855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brown_eyed_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure? Where does the 1 month estimate come from? But also... isn't this my least fertile time (the end of my period)?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one month estimate is erring on the side of caution ... Many pill packets say that the pill is effective in a week. Going by that, you should be protected.

Should be.

Also, when you're on the pill, you don't have a 'most fertile' time. On the (combination) pill, you don't ovulate. Your fertility through each cycle should be about the same at any given time.

Because you're only taking one day's difference here, I don't think it'll make that big of a difference.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brown_eyed_girl
Neophyte
Member # 24855

I started the pill a week after my period ended, instead of right after like you'd normally do it. My gynecologist said it was fine. Does that mean I could have ovulated already before I started the pill, or am I just being paranoid?

I do know that I didn't get my period on the 3rd week of pills (highest dosage) (when I normally would have gotten it) but instead got it this past week during my placebo pills.

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you would have ovulated before you started taking the pills, that wouldn't be an issue now. Plus, you got the withdrawl bleed when you should have based on the pills. You really have nothing to be concerned about at this point, hon. Just keep taking your pills as instructed and you'll be fine.
Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.