Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » have not started her period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: have not started her period
bobbyflay
Activist
Member # 19955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbyflay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend has not started her period yet, she just started birth control about 2 months ago. She has taken 2 preg. test and have come out negative. My question is , why is she late and if she doesn't start it by sunday (when she starts her next pack)is that ok? Thank you!
Posts: 67 | From: Raleigh,NC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very possible her body is still adjusting to the birth control and that is why she hasn't had a period yet. Technically, you don't get a real period on birth control, but what's called a withdrawl bleed, but as far as the idea is concerned it's the same.

If she doesn't get her period by the time she starts her next pack (it's fine for now if she just continues taking the next pack of pills as normal), since she has already taken two negative pregnancy tests, she may want to speak with her gynecologist or whoever prescribed her the pills in case she may want to switch prescriptions or in case something else is up.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbyflay
Activist
Member # 19955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbyflay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sooo she has started taking her pack yesterday (sunday) and has not got her period yet... Do you know when she could possible get it and will it be best to use a backup method of protection or will these new packs of pills have the same effect since she has not gotten her period yet. Thank you very much!
Posts: 67 | From: Raleigh,NC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She should be protected from pregnancy on this pack, so a backup method would not need to be used for that. Do note, however, that we don't suggest couples stop using condoms unless they are in a longterm, monogomous relationship and have each had TWO full STI screenings 6 months apart. (This goes for anyone, virgins or non-virgins)

Since she did not have a withdrawl bleed this cycle, she may not have one until her next pack. If she does not have a withdrawl bleed next cycle wither, she should speak to her gynecologist.

Also, I didn't check this last time- when was your pregnancy risk and when did she take the pregnancy tests? I'm asking in case she took them too early to get an accurate result. If that were the case she could take another pregnancy test now to check again, though it's really overall just more likely she skipped the withdrawl bleed because of the hormones in the pill, rather than pregnancy, especially if she has taken all her pills correctly.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbyflay
Activist
Member # 19955

"Do note, however, that we don't suggest couples stop using condoms unless they are in a longterm, monogomous relationship and have each had TWO full STI screenings 6 months apart. (This goes for anyone, virgins or non-virgins)"

yes, we are are in a monogomous relationship and have two full sti screening 6 months part. Also it has been more than 10-14 days so her test she took should be pretty right on. Also does it matter if the test are "cheap" or a off brand or not, because i'm not sure if hers were or not but i'm sure they all test the same way. But just to say this, we had unprotected sex... labor day weekend then we have not since then, sooo i think that was 2nd though 7th that we did, somewere along those lines and she just took the test about 2 days ago.

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

The tests should have been accurate. Most pregnancy tests have about the same accuracy, the more expensive ones aren't more accurate. Plus, if she had been taking her pills correctly you wouldn't have really had a pregnancy risk anyway.

So, again, this could have very likely been her body reacting to the hormones and causing her to skip her withdrawl bleed. If she doesn't get one after this pack during her next placebo week she should call her gynecologist.

bobbyflay
Activist
Member # 19955

Alright dailicious I really thank you for the information, take care and keep up the good work.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.