Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » The Patch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Patch
inlove6387
Neophyte
Member # 16289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inlove6387     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok well I tried to use the search funtion on this site but it didn't work so I decided that I would just post this anyways and if there is already a post on here that could answer my question could you just refer me to that post. Thanks

Well to start off I am currently taking the pill "ortho-tricyclen" and I have been for over a year. But here lately my schedule is so busy with school and after school activities that I am having a really hard time rememebering to take my pill most days. And I am considering going on the patch so that I don't have to worry about taking a piull everyday. So can anyone let me know more information about the patch, like what brand and the side effects that comes with using the patch. And if you know any usefulk information about the patch could you please let me know what you know???
Thanks a bunch
Steph

Posts: 24 | From: El Paso | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in your situation. I switched, and never looked back.

The patch uses similar hormones to the pill. They're released via a trans-dermal patch, which you have on your skin for seven days. You alternate sites and sides of the body. Three patches on, one week off, and you cycle starts again.

Because of the similarities between the pill and the patch, the side affects are very similar.

Only one company makes the patch right now--Ortho Evra.

But, like with all decisions like this, your doctor is going to have a better idea of what will work with your body. So, ask your doctor and see what they recommend.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlove6387
Neophyte
Member # 16289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inlove6387     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now another question...
WEll I was talking to my boyfriend about going on the patch today because I feel that he should have a say so in what I do because it does affect him too. Anyways, we were talking and he mentioned that he heard that the patch burns your skin or something like that. Now it that just a myth or is it true? I have read online about the patch and I didn't see anything about it burning but I wanted a voise of experience as to wither it burns or hurts in anyway. If anyone knows please fill me in.
steph

Posts: 24 | From: El Paso | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kristy89
Neophyte
Member # 24692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kristy89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well.. i was in the same situation as you .. and i switched ...i like it better b/c now i never forget to change my patch.. and i think it depends on your skin.. like there is a risk that it could irritate ur skin.. but it didnt do anything to mine.. but i did notice it leaves like stickey stuff once u peal it off ( which isnt good)
Posts: 19 | From: orillia,ontario,canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlove6387
Neophyte
Member # 16289

This might help with your "sticky situation" haha... anyways. I was reading on the ortho-evra site and it said that you can clean off that sticky stuff with a cotton ball and baby oil. But it said not to do it until you take off the patch at the end of the week. Hope that helps!
steph

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.