Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » How doI tell my parents???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How doI tell my parents???
LadyLudacris25
Neophyte
Member # 25293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLudacris25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I and my boyfriend have been together for about 3 months and we have been talkin about how we think we are ready to finally have sex. But the thing is, my mother and father are always talking to me about not having sex until I am married, but to me I think it is my decision. My parents and I have a very open relationship, but I don't quite know how to lay this on the table to them.

Any suggestions on how to tell my parents that i am going to be sexually active??

------------------
~*~Cierra~*~

Posts: 1 | From: Youngstown,Ohio, USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, how old are you? How old is your boyfriend? In Ohio, the age of consent is 16. Basically, after you and your parter have reached that age, by law you can consent to sexual activity. Before that, depeneding on the age differences of you and your parter, he can be charged with a sex crime, and that's not a pretty picture.

I applaud you for wanting to discuss this with your parents. It will make things easier down the road.

First, I'd understand why they feel the way they do. Is that what they did? Is that what they were taught as children? Are they religious, and this is part of their teachings?

Next, I suggest you print out, read, and understand Margerat Sanger's Disneyland, our article that breaks down all the different types of birth control, their success rates, and their side effects, if any. Also, read and print out Your First Gynecologist's Visit, because if you're sexually active you should be seeing one for testing and to make sure all's well (also if you want hormonal birth control).

In addition, these articles will help you a great deal:

*Safe, Sound...And Sexy
*First Intercourse 101
*Ready or Not Checklist

Read them, and bring them with you when you talk to your parents. You're taking responsibility to prepare yourself. Speak in a calm manner. Explain why it is you want to do this. Assure them that you're taking precautions (as you read in the articles). You want to do this. But remember, being demanding won't help. If something does happen, you'll want your parents in your corner, so to speak.

Act mature, speak well, be responsible. And good luck!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.