Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » A couple of questions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A couple of questions...
*Misty*
Activist
Member # 22843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Misty*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, let me thank Scarleteen! Its helped me so much and adviced me on numerous issues. Thank you..though I still have a couple of random questions that I hope you'll help me with.

1) Is it safe to use coloured and flavoured condoms for virginal intercourse? If not why? My boyfriend and I used it once and I'm worried if I'm at a risk for an infection.

2) My period was due and although I didn't get it on the due date, me and my boyfriend had sex that day, however I did get my period later on that day. Am I at a risk for pregnancy?

Thank you so much for all the time and advice, Scarleteen!

Posts: 50 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean VAGinal intercourse? (Virginal intercourse would, I guess, mean having sex with a virgin)

The sugars used in flavoured condoms can cause infections for a woman, eg. yeast infections. However, if you once used a flavoured condom but have experienced no pain or odd discharge since then, then you probably escaped infection.

Coloured condoms are also predominantly designed for oral sex since they are "fun" to look at. So, as a rule, keep the funky condoms for oral play only!

If you used protection safely, as normal then you have minimum risk on the day that your period was due. Whether your period was due or not has nothing much to do with anything - just make sure you were protected as normal.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NobodySaidItWasEasy:

Coloured condoms are also predominantly designed for oral sex since they are "fun" to look at. So, as a rule, keep the funky condoms for oral play only!

Actually, there's nothing wrong with using coloured condoms for any kind of sexual activity. It's flavoured condoms that you want to keep for oral sex only.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I was just trying to show that they are for novelty factor. I didn't mean to imply that anything bad could come from coloured condoms.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.