Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » antibiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: antibiotics?
RageAgainstU
Neophyte
Member # 14199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RageAgainstU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was an idiot, and i had sex with my boyfriend while on antibiotics and birth control. i had gotten a bladder infection, and we had sex for maybe 2 seconds without a condom on. he didnt ejaculate in me, but i have a feeling this might not be good. what do i do? and how high are the risks of me being pregnant?
Posts: 33 | From: Cheshire, CT, US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all antibiotics make birth control less effective. Your doctor and/or pharmicist should have told you if your antibiotics would make your birth control less effective. If he or she didn't say anything, you could call your pharmicist now and see what he says. If he says it will make your BC less effective, it might not be too late for EC.

Next time, make sure you ask if it will affect your BC, or just get in the habit of using condoms for extra protection.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RageAgainstU
Neophyte
Member # 14199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RageAgainstU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how much less effective though? i mean are we talking a %50 decrease or a miniscule amount?
Posts: 33 | From: Cheshire, CT, US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really difficult for us to say, because different antibiotics will have different effects of different peoples' bodies and birth control prescriptions. In other words: there is no exact percent, it is different case by case.

Have you checked with the doctor to find out if this antibiotic will have an effect on birth control pills? If not, do so! That's the best source to go to to determine if your birth control was made less efficient.

As suggested, you may also want to seek out EC if it isn't too late and see if the people there consider your risk great enough to administer EC to you. For now, look into EC and don't stress. If EC isn't an option for you, take a pregnancy test 10-14 days from your risk.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RageAgainstU
Neophyte
Member # 14199

well, since im still on birth control, im due to get my period on tuesday. if i get it, does that mean im not pregnant? or should i still check just to be sure?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sulfa-based antibiotics generally given for bladder infections are generally NOT those which interfere with the effectiveness of BCPs.

No need for EC, and again, you can always call your pharmacist to make sure.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.