Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Quick Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick Question
Aprile
Neophyte
Member # 24977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aprile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching the Sunday Night Sex Show and there was a question on condoms. The lady was saying that her man is too big for condoms, but Sue said that she says the six month rule. If you've been together for more than six months and the woman is using BC that you don't need condoms anymore.

Would you suggest that? or do you think that you should use condoms until you are ready to have kids?

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I think the Sunday Night Sex show is a wonderful resource for many, I have noticed times when Sue has given partial, or incorrect information. If you have been together for six months or more, totally monogamous, with two full STD/STI screenings in that time, then the risk is substantially lessened, and some couples choose to go without condoms at that time. Many prefer to continue using condoms for the extra protection they afford in terms of pregnancy and STI transmission, regardless of test results.

However, simply being monogamous does not guarantee being free of STD/STIs. Heck, I've been monogamous with my partner for over a year, but we still use condoms every time and get tested once a year.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sue is also talking to a generally OLDER audience than ST.

While older folks shouldn't be lax about taking precautions, older folks are not as subject to the same risks that teens are. A lot of young people's sexual habits put them at MUCH HIGHER risk for sexually transmitted diseases. Also, teens by and large are less equipped to deal with the problem of unwanted pregnancy compared to older adults.

So yeah, if you're young, it's a good idea to be super-careful because not enough of your peers are -- take care of yourself

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also want to add that besides being a very good at preventing the transmission of STI's condoms are excellent form of contraception. With younger people that is often a priority and so sticking with condoms past the 6 month time is a good idea.

------------------

Love Scarleteen? Say thank you by donating and keep us around!

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.