Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Where to go?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to go?
OutInTheCold
Neophyte
Member # 18273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutInTheCold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is kinda an odd question, so I didn't know where exactly to put it.

Here goes: where could a young couple go to have safe sex?

In this particular case, neither home is a viable option (ie. someone's always home) and outdoor sex is unappealing. Money's a bit tight, so hotels/motels are out, too.

Barring other equally unromantic locations (in a car, in public places, etc), are there any suggestions about where a young, loving couple could go (hopefully on a reliably regular basis) to make love without having to worry about being caught, frostbitten, or bug-bitten?

Regards,
R&K

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Venue and extremely important to consider. You unfortunately ruled out a lot of your best options. If home is definitely not a safe environment, and you cannot afford the $30 for a hotel room, then you might be out of luck.

Sex in public places is generally against the law. The penalties range from fines, police reporting to your parents, or even worse you can be charged with lewd conduct, which in many places is a sex offense (the kind you have to register for).

So if home or hotel are not options, then you will need to abstain till you find a safe place. save your pennies if you must.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kisses Me Pink
Activist
Member # 24198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kisses Me Pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in your situation, I can honestly say you ruled out all your options. Although, in my experience, the woods and cars become alot more appealing when you get all lusty.

Just save your money, and all the spare you get put it towards a motel room.
Other than that, you're pretty much outta luck.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, motel rooms run pretty cheap.

But if you cannot afford a hotel room for a night, will you be able to afford condoms, lubrication, or other forms of birth control?

If a pregnancy results by accident, will you be able to get the resources necessary to have regular check-ups? Will you be able to care for the baby afterwards?

All food for thought before having sex, especially since you mentioned that money is tight.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutInTheCold
Neophyte
Member # 18273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutInTheCold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if you cannot afford a hotel room for a night, will you be able to afford condoms, lubrication, or other forms of birth control?

Compared to some, we may be young, but we're not foolish, thank you very much. :|

Money is not so tight that we can't afford protection. Most people would agree with me when I say that protection is a priority, and should be worried about before one wonders where to have sex.

However, in the immediate area, there are no cheap places to go that I know of, most running upwards of $100 a night. That said, I think you'll understand a little better what was meant by "money is tight".

Re-checking motel (vs. hotel) prices isn't a bad idea, especially if that $30 figure holds true nearby. We may end up having sex less often than we might like, but infrequent-and-private sex beats frequent-but-risky sex any day.

Other than that, though, my suspicions were correct: motels notwithstanding, some creative thinking must be used. For example, going camping could yield opportunities...

[This message has been edited by OutInTheCold (edited 08-18-2005).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you do find a place to have sex, are you old enough to have sex? It would probably do you good to check out age of consent laws in your state, because there could be major consequences later if you're under age.
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ARE legal...

Camping is certainly an option, and I'd certainly suggest that before things which aren't legal and which can be unsafe (per someone finding you and assauting you, for instance) like parking in cars or finding hidey-holes in public parks.

Of course, talking to one of both of your families about being sexually active and wanting some privacy for that is also an option. Obviously, that depends on the openness of your family and how they view sex.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutInTheCold
Neophyte
Member # 18273

quote:
Assuming you do find a place to have sex, are you old enough to have sex?

Legally, yes, we are. I realize that in a place dedicated to informing young people, you have to ask these questions, so it's good that you ask about age and protection, even though neither apply in this case.

quote:
Of course, talking to one of both of your families about being sexually active and wanting some privacy for that is also an option. Obviously, that depends on the openness of your family and how they view sex.

Yeah, that would be ideal. It's the last bit there that blows it all to hell.

The nearest motel doesn't have a $30 room, but they're not $100, either. That makes it more of an option than many other solutions, but not pocketbook-friendly enough to do more than once a month or so.

At this point, though, I don't think there's gonna be a magic answer that has all the ideal characteristics. Beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for your help, all. Any further suggestions would still be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by OutInTheCold (edited 08-18-2005).]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.