Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » brands of lube

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: brands of lube
scaredsilly2
Activist
Member # 21893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredsilly2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone suggest a good brand of lube? My boyfriend and I have been using Astroglide from the start but it always leaves us feeling sticky (and it kind of has a smell to it). What about K-Y Jelly?

------------------
the maker is surely one who makes themself

Posts: 146 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshoregyrl
Neophyte
Member # 24902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshoregyrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like regular K-Y jelly, not any of the specialty ones they have now. The regular stuff in a tube really works well for me but the other stuff is always sticky in the end.
Posts: 6 | From: New Orleans | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TAB
Activist
Member # 4510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a real big fan of K-Y, it tends to get goopy. It's not really Scarleteen's favorite suggestion, but if you're looking for maximum lubiness that will last go silicone based. Now you can't use silicone based lubes with silicone toys and you have to do extra clean up as it won't just wash out with water (it's water resistant and can be used in hot tubs and the like, it totally stays lubey).

Doc Johnson makes a good one, iLube. ID millenium is also a good one. Pjur is a bit pricey, but it's also quite fantastic.

Posts: 68 | From: right...behind...you... | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a warning for Silicone-bhased lubricants- they are much more difficult and messy to clean out of the vagina (not harmful, just harder to clean up) so you may want to keep that in mind when trying it. Otherwise they are both condom and vagina safe.

It never hurts to try different brands and find what yOU like, so try KY is you're unhappy with Astroglide. There are other brands you can try as well that probably aren't as well known, but as long as you read the lables and they say water-based and condom/latex-safe you're good to go.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I love Durex Play (I use "Warmer," but that's me). It's not too messy, has no smell that I've noticed, and we both really enjoy it.
Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredsilly2
Activist
Member # 21893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredsilly2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great! thank you all for the suggestions, I have a few good ideas now of what to look for.

The one thing is though, I just tend to see Astroglide and KY in regular stores. Were the ones suggested just found in sex stores or?

------------------

Posts: 146 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little off the subject, but I wanted to bring up that KY Warming Liquid stuff. I don't really get it -- it's already warm down there!!?! I don't need any more warmth!

But anyway, I usually use the KY liquid (not the gel, it's a little gross and reminds me of the gynecologist too much haha) and I recently bought Astroglide which is okay.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kisses Me Pink
Activist
Member # 24198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kisses Me Pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally like KY Warming Liquid. I actually don't really notice a difference temperature wise, and I don't know about my boy, but he's never had any complaints.
And there's never been any problems with stickiness or goopiness, so I'm happy with it.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by morganlh85:
A little off the subject, but I wanted to bring up that KY Warming Liquid stuff. I don't really get it -- it's already warm down there!!?! I don't need any more warmth!

I strongly suspect it's because lube generally is cold when first applied to an already warm area. A bit like the fact that when I get a massage, the person warms the lotion up in their hands before applying it to my skin. My boyfriend doesn't always do that, and it's cold when he doesn't.

That, and it's a fantastic marketing gimmic.

As for myself, my boyfriend and I use KY Liquid, because that's what the store had. I don't have any complaints, mostly because we tend to use just enough, as I lubricate quite a bit as is. Though, I do enjoy the little extra.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredsilly2
Activist
Member # 21893

quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
I strongly suspect it's because lube generally is cold when first applied to an already warm area.

That's what I was thinking. Yah, my boyfriend is all for buying the KY warming lube. Usually when we go to grab it, it's like "ahh cold!" from sitting wherever it is.

I heard it's a little more like oil than gel like lube?

------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.