Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » EC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EC
curemyheart
Activist
Member # 15977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curemyheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SO...i took ec pill about three weeks ago when i had unprotected sex. Today, i had protected sex but the condom broke. So...im taking the ec again. But im really worried im messing with my body too much. I dont know what to do. I dont know if should go on birth control...because that would be the safest in terms of not getting pregnant. I sort of have a dilemma though, because previously, with my ex. I went on bc, then went off, then went on again (according to how well we were getting along) anyway, to make a long story short, what should i do? Should i go on birth control, and if i do...should i stay on it, for how long exactly?
Posts: 90 | From: Under the California Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's better to just go on bc and back up with condoms. and stay on bc if you're going to be in prolonged relationships (more than three months). if there's a period of several months where you're going to be celibate, then stop taking the meds, but don't be switching on and off all the time. you lose efficacy that way because you're inconsistent.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curemyheart
Activist
Member # 15977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curemyheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...so will my body get messed up from taking emergency contraceptive twice in such a short period of time? And will it matter when i start my birth control since i took ec?
Posts: 90 | From: Under the California Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EC is pretty similar to a large dose of hormonal birth control; while it isn't something you awant to be doing all the time, you should be okay taking it again, even being in such close proximity to the last time you took it.

It's usually suggested you DO wait until your next period begins to start using hormonal birth control, just because then it will be the most ontime with your cycle and you won't have wonkiness from starting mid-cycle. You may want to ask when you get both the EC and the pills what the people prescribing them to you think you shoudl do, as they will probably know how to best handle the situation.

And just remember that you should go one full pack of 28 pills (that means the placebo week included) before you count yourself fully protected from pregnancy by the pill. Itr's good to use condoms as a back-up method in general, but that first month you should either choose to abstain or make sure you're using the condoms correctly during sex since the first pack may not have you completely covered.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, it won't mess you up, but you may get more side effects that way. i mean, it's logical that the more times you take a medication, the likely you'll experience a side effect.

anyway, as for BC, your doctor will be able ot tell you if oyu should be a sunday starter, or wait till your period to show up.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curemyheart
Activist
Member # 15977

Okay, so...i took the ec when i first posted this Topic, i got my period because of it like four days later. I still havnt gotten my period since then? I'm taking it that there's a possibility i am pregnant? What do you all think?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little confused by your post.

What i think you're saying is that you had a period (a normal period? similar in flow and length?) four days after you took the EC, but haven't had a period since then (the first day of your last period being approx 08/17/05). Is this correct?

Have you had a pregnancy risk since your last period? If not, your chances of pregnancy are slim to none.

If i'm calculating the dates properly, your period isn't even that late ... Not even a week (following a 28 day cycle ... I'm assuming b/c you haven't indicated your cycle length).

If you're concerned, you can always take a pregnancy test ... But again, if you haven't had a pregnancy risk since your last period, your chances are pretty darn slim.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curemyheart
Activist
Member # 15977

Well...the first day of my last period for the normal flow was before i took the ec. i took the ec because the condom broke, and then the ec made me start my period again. so the first day of my last period from the EC was around the 17th of august. So...that would be late, or no? It's been like 34-37 days...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, it's a good idea after taking EC to take a pregnancy test if you have ANY variation in your period.

Whiele that's normal with taking EC, since it isn't 100% effective, one should always make sure.

Posts: 67959 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.