Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Exercise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise
lisa01
Activist
Member # 5931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lisa01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i am a bit overweight i am starting to exercise but im finding that if i do one week im putting on weight not losing it. Why is this? It makes me feel depressed and whats the point. I put on 2 - 3 kg.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exercising in general might not make you lose weight since you gain muscle weight as you lose fat weight, but muscle weighs more than fat. That being said, 3 kg seems like a lot to gain in one week if there is nothing else going on. Did you wear clothes the second time you weighed yourself? Had you just eaten? Sometimes other factors affect your weight.
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the best time to weigh yourself to get your actual body weight is first thing in the morning - *after* you've urinated and *before* you've eaten anything. And without clothes, obviously.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a double post, which I'm sure a mod will catch up to eventually. But until they do I'll remind you that double posting is against the rules here.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, a mod's catching up. sorry, but in between med school apps, a job that eats 45 hr/wk and a boyfriend who wants my time (not that it's a bad thing), i haven't been on in a few. given the closeness in time of posting, i don't think it was an intentional double post.

quote:
Originally posted by dailicious:
When someone starts an exercise program, often times they will gain weight before the lose any because they begin to gain muscle, and muscleweighs more than fat.

This may be happening for you. Also, especially for women, there are other factors for our weight at any given time; such as water-retention (I ALWAYS weigh-out a couple pounds more than my usual weight around my period), bloating from your period or how you've been eating, etc.

Also, you should definitely not expect to see results in just a week; when you lose weight, it is unhealthy for your body to be losing more than 3 pounds a week, and most people don't even lose that.

Just remember as well, weight has much less to do with fitness as nutrition and activity do. Especially since you're getting exercise in, be sure you're also eating well; your metabolism is key for fat burning and if you don't eat you won't have a good metabolism. Just be sure to get in lots of fruits and veggies, calcium daily, and protein is a really important one to be sure you're getting too. If you need help knowing what's best for you to be eating, you could think of schedualing an appointment with your doctor who can give you a referal for a nutritionist who can help you see what your diet should be to be eating the healthiest you can be for your body. Also be sure to drink plenty of water.

A little exercise is good in everyone's life, just be careful that you aren't overdoing it (if you overwork your body you stop burning fat and start taking away from the energy you need for day-to-day life, you'll get dehydrated faster, you're more likely to cause yourself to be sick, etc.) by keeping track of your pace and your pulse and not pushing your body to the point you're hurting it.

Don't be too depressed right now, you're just starting out, and don't think you have to set any unrealistic goals for yourself. Weight has so much less to do with being healthy and having a good body than people tend to think. And definitely don't think that there's no point to exercise just because you aren't losing weight! Exercise will help the rest of your body be healthier - people who get in a healthy amount of exercise will have better circulation and be able to breathe better, they fend of illness much more easily than people who are not active, you're less likely to develop health problems in the future if you start making your body healthy now.

As long as you're sure to eat well and get about 30 minutes of exercise in a few times a week you'll be setting yourself up to be healthy in the future.

and this isn't even anything about sex, so it shouldn't be in here. i'll close it and eventually send it to Gen Health.

and in the future, lisa, please file your posts in the appropriate areas. forum descriptions are on the forum page.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.