Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sexually active

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexually active
*Misty*
Activist
Member # 22843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Misty*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been sexually active for about 3-4 weeks now and I'm sure I don't have any pregnancy risks, however a couple of other queries.

During the first 2 days of my period, I have severe stomach cramps that sometimes is so excruciating that I've blacked out in the bath tub. I'm not worried about it as my mother used to have the same severe stomach cramps and also because I've seen a doctor who said it was probably because I had a heavy flow.

However, this only happens to me during my period but the other day I got the same tummy pains and blacked out again in the bath tub. I'm a little scared as to why since my periods are due for at least another 2 weeks and I've always had regualar periods. I was wondering if this is normal? And also is it because I've been sexually active?

Moreover, I used to have discharge but ever since the last time I was sexually active (which was about 6 days ago) there hasn't been any discharge at all. This kinda scared me because I've always had discharge. Pls advise.

Lastly, the last time my boyfriend and I had sex, after he ejaculated and withdrew himself from me there was some white stuff on the outside of the condom, :S and I freaked thinking that the condom had broken and that I had a pregnancy risk. However my boyfriend said that it was probably just discharge and since what he said didn't calm me down, he made sure that I wasn't near him and he emptied the condom and filled it with water, just to prove to me that that condom hadn't torn and he was right as it was airtight. But I'm still a little scared as to what the white stuff was on the outside of the condom?

P.S:I know I'm being paranoid but hey, its always better to be safe than sorry, isn't it?! Thanks alot

[This message has been edited by *Misty* (edited 07-09-2005).]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It most likely was your own vaginal fluid on the outside of the condom, either from your natural discharge or a product of arousal.

I am concerned about the stomach pains/blacking out, while they may not be a sign of anything related to pregnancy or even anything going on exactly with your uterus/ovaries/etc. having severe pain and blacking out is NOT normal and I high advise you see a doctor.

Have you seen a gynecologist before? Not just a regular doctor but have actually had a pelvic exam or at least talked to a gynecologist? There are a probably a number of ways you could reduce your pains during menstruation, because while some women do suffer from more severe cramping during their period, I personally don't think if it is to the point it can cause you to blackout it is safe to be happening, regaurdless of whether or not your mother used to have the same problem.

As for the discharge, someone else may be able to answer you but I'm not sure if it means anything/what it would mean since it could just be something with your natural cycle and the cervical mucus present during that.

I really advise seeing a doctor about blacking out, however.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Misty*
Activist
Member # 22843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Misty*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the advice...I have seen a doctor and have been prescribed painkillers and they do work so I don't think theres anything there...but I don't want to visit a gyno as my mother would probably kill me if she knew I wasn't a virgin as we are a highly conservative family. Although my boyfriend has also been insisting that I visit a doctor, I'm really scared that my mother will find out. So I'm a little clueless.

But thank you very much for the advice about the discharge and also about the 'white stuff' on the condom..

Thanks

Posts: 50 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You SHOULD be more scared about your mother finding out you're dead. This could be a lot more than regular period pain; it could be anything from cysts to fibroids to endometriosis to anything else that could be wrong down there and if left untreated these problems could lead to anything from cervical cancer to infertility. It's not smart to endanger your health because you're afraid of what your mom thinks. Make an appointment at Planned Parenthood, it's confidential. But either way it's totally necessary that you get checked out. Pain so bad it blacks you out is a sign of a serious problem and ignoring it isn't doing you any favors!
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Actually, any medical practice is required to be confidential unless the patient is in immediate danger, in which case the confidentiality code does not apply, so it doesn't really matter who you go to, but I suggest you see your mothers or your OB/GYN, not Planned Parenthood)

And really, think about it: morgan brings up a good point: I'm sure your mother is much more concerned about you staying alive at the moment, and she WILL find out about your being sexually active eventually. It isn't something I highly recommend trying to keep secret, as in the event that something happens, say, a pregnancy, she will have to know. So, I'd tell your mom that you need an appointment on the double, and then take care of the rest afterwards.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Misty*
Activist
Member # 22843

Hi..thank you everyone for all the advice..but you see I have been to see a doctor as I told you in my last post..and after the doctor examined me, he said that it was because of my period that I have the stomach cramps and he also took a blood test just to make sure to see if it was anything serious, but the test came back negative however I am hypoglacemic (sorry, bad at spelling), which means I sort of have low blood sugar and he thought that it was cause for me passing out. So I did see a doctor after all. But I was worried because I got the pain about 2 weeks before my period?

As for me going to see a gyno. Thanks for telling me that they keep it even confidential, even from my mother. However, I'd like to know if its a 'must' to have a regular gyno check up after you become sexually active or is it just after a certain age?

Once again,thank you every one for all the advice and actually helping me out!!

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Misty, it's actually recomended that you begin receiving gynecological check-ups when you start menstruating.

And yes, it is doubly important to start receiving annual gynecological care when you become sexually active.

So I would highly recomend schedualing a vist soon, and you can discuss the pains then in case you have any concerns you want to address as far as the bad pains during menstruation go, anyway (and you can double check with the gynecologist, since the pain you experience may have been tied to ovulation and not your period, exactly, just a thought ).

And so you can talk about being sexually active with your gynecologist (and when you go in you can ask beforehand that she will keep these things confidential, just as a safe-check) just tell your mom that you'd be more comfortable being at the appointment or in the room by yourself. You have that right as a patient, too.

So go schedual that appointment!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It IS a must. The guideline is to have a yearly exam when you are sexually active or once you turn 18, whichever is first. It's important in finding out if you have any reproductive problems like pre-cancerous cells on the cervix, breast cancer, etc., which can often go undetected for long periods of time otherwise, when it's too late. Just like you would go to a regular doc or dentist, it's important to keep up with your reproductive health as well.

If you go to a local Planned Parenthood or other family planning clinic you can usually obtain these services for free or at reduced cost, and it's always confidential.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelgirl1
Neophyte
Member # 24178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelgirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, just because you ask your mom to see an OB/GYN doesn't mean it has to have anything to do with sex. The fact that you not only have severe cramps but are menstruating is quite reason enough. Gynocologists don't just check you out for sexual issues, for plain women issues as well.

And most are confidential about your sexual history.

------------------
Love,
Julia

Posts: 23 | From: Falls Church, VA, United States | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.