Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Uh oh...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uh oh...
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so I just switched from the pill to the patch yesterday and i'm already freaked out because the patch is kind of crinkly and some of the edges look exposed. I just had a shower too which i'm sure didn't help it out that much. I'll press it back down but it doesn't seem to want to stay...

I know you supposed to switch the patch if it starts coming off, but it's not coming off, just crinkly. so should I be worried? i don't know what to do :S

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont really think crinkly is a problem ... You may just want to keep a closer eye on it to make sure it stays put.

And as you know, if it falls off (or starts to fall off), stick another back on

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several months ago, I use to be on the patch, and I had the same problem with mine. No matter what it would always get 'crinkly' from when my skin would move. Like already said, I don't think that it matters, as long as it doesn't come off.
Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks so much I was also wondering how it works when you put on a new patch... doesn't that mean you won't have the patch on long enough to be effective? do you take the new one off a week later?
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brite Crayon83
Activist
Member # 23517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brite Crayon83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of starting a new post, I figured Id add to this one. I have a quick question regarding the patch...

Ive been on it for 3 months. Usually I havent had any probs with it. Today I went to the bathroom and saw some orangish/brownish blood. It was not alot at all, but I put a pad on anyways. Is this normal? Should I worry about it?

Posts: 74 | From: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Can anyone explain how putting on another patch works... and how long you leave it on for? Sorry I'm just really confused
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that you just take off the old one, leave it off for a week, and then put on a new one in the same place, and then do the same thing again after three weeks. But these are questions you should have asked your doctor before you got the patch, so don't take my word on it. The patch is like any other hormonal medicine and should not be used if you're not sure how to use it correctly.
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

No, I know your supposed to take off one, put a new one on in the same place not taking a week off, but I'm wondering how long you leave the new one on for. I do know how to use the patch, this is my only question, I figured there were people who are on the patch at scarleteen and they could help.
Brite Crayon83
Activist
Member # 23517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brite Crayon83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if Im answering your question right but here it goes--

You get 3 patches in your perscription.
You put one on on a Sunday or the first day of your period. Then you stick with that day (for example Im a Tuesday starter).

-So patch one goes on Tuesday.
-The following Tuesday, I put a new one on, but I alternate the spot. I dont put it on the same spot.
-Then the third Tuesday I put on the final patch, usually where I put the first patch.
-The fourth Tuesday, is when the patch comes off, and stays off till the next Tuesday.

Then you follow it all over again.

Posts: 74 | From: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Alright, I know how to use the patch properly, what I'm asking is, if it starts coming off and you have to put on a new one, how long do you keep the new one on for? Since you only get three do you keep that one on for longer, or take it off and get your period earlier than you should?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh...so you're talking about if one comes off when it's not supposed to come off, right?

quote:
From the prescribing information found on www.orthoevra.com:
If a patch is partially or completely detached:
• for less than one day (up to 24 hours), the woman should try to reapply it to the same place or replace it with a new patch immediately. No back-up contraception is needed. The woman’s “Patch Change Day” will
remain the same.
• for more than one day (24 hours or more) OR if the woman is not sure how long the patch has been detached, SHE MAY NOT BE PROTECTED FROM PREGNANCY. She should stop the current contraceptive cycle and start a new cycle immediately by applying a new patch. There is now a new “Day 1” and a new “Patch Change Day.” Back-up contraception, such as condoms, spermicide, or diaphragm, must be used
for the first week of the new cycle.

A patch should not be re-applied if it is no longer sticky, if it has become stuck to itself or another surface, if it has other material stuck to it or if it has previously become loose or fallen off. If a patch cannot be re-applied, a new patch should be applied immediately.

Supplemental adhesives or wraps should not be used to hold the ORTHO EVRA® patch in place.

So if your patch starts coming off, you should try to reapply it or if it cannot be reapplied you should replace it with a new patch. The new patch should be worn until your normal "patch change" day and then you change it out for another one just as your normally would.

quote:
Also according to www.orthoevra.com:
Re-apply the Patch by following these instructions:

* Press down firmly on the patch with the palm of your hand for 10 seconds, making sure that the edges stick well. Then run your fingers around the edge of the patch. Do not use tapes or wraps to keep the birth control patch in place.
* If the birth control patch does not stick well, remove it and then apply a replacement birth control patch. This patch should be replaced on the original "Patch Change Day." Single replacement patches are available through your pharmacist.

So you should be able to get a patch to replace the one you will be short by asking your pharmacist. In addition to the full prescribing information, the website also has a booklet of FAQ available for download that may be helpful.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 06-24-2005).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

ohh thanks so much Kitten

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.