Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » kissing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: kissing
~*ensalada_mixta*~
Activist
Member # 23425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~*ensalada_mixta*~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering... for all you girls/guys who kiss other guys, where do you put your hands on the guy when you're kissing standing up? Because when guys and girls are kissing, it seems a natural resting place for the guy to put his hands on the girl's waist. But a guy's waist isn't such a natural focal point - what does everyone do? Just touch the guy somewhere/put your arms around him/touch the neck or face?
Curious!

[This message has been edited by ~*ensalada_mixta*~ (edited 06-03-2005).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daffodil
Neophyte
Member # 22596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daffodil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally playing with his hair/face/holding onto his neck if his hands are around my waist area because it feels most comfortable and also because I am pretty short and sometimes have to go on tiptoes heehee it gives me something to hold onto...
Posts: 11 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~*ensalada_mixta*~
Activist
Member # 23425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~*ensalada_mixta*~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I like to do that too but sometimes it feels quite violent to grab the guy around the neck and hold his mouth into yours. That works for a really passionate kiss but it's hard to know what to do when he's holding you gently... I find it pretty upfront to hold their face/head, especially on a first kiss.
Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smileygrl
Neophyte
Member # 21720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smileygrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it depends on if we're standing or sitting. I'm very short (4'11) and my boyfriend is over 6'. When we're sitting or lying down, my arms are usually around his neck or playing with his hair. Standing up, I'm usually on my tiptoes, so my arms go around his neck or his chest. Although, I never really give much thought to it while kissing him... I just go with whatever feels comfortable at the moment.

~Sarah

Posts: 29 | From: NY and Boston | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, if my boyfriend and I are standing, he has his hands on my waist while my arms are either around his neck or wrapped around his back. Usually, though, I have one hand pressed against the back of his head with the other lightly touching his cheek.

Wow, never had to actually stop and think about that, lol.

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh, this is a fun topic

hmm, places to put my hands. well, pretty much anywhere, I guess. Usually, I rest them on the middle of his back. Sometimes I hold onto his waist. Maybe I'll grab onto a belt loop. Sometimes I'll put my hands on his face by holding onto his cheeks. or sometimes, we just keep our arms down and hold hands.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JackOfSpades
Neophyte
Member # 21676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JackOfSpades     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we're standing up I usually put my hands on his waist and he puts his arms round my shoulders. He has quite a defined waist for a guy and it just feels right, y'know?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... Defineatly an interesting topic.

I guess i usually put my arms around his neck, as if we were hugging ... Sometimes I'll put one hand on his cheek or something, or rub the back of his head/neck.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~*ensalada_mixta*~
Activist
Member # 23425

Hey to all the guys out there - what do you like someone to do when they're kissing you?
windycityskacore
Activist
Member # 19031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for windycityskacore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...well, I usually put my hands on my girfriends waist and she usually rests her arms on my shoulders...sometimes we hold each other's hands all cutesy-style too...

I like it when she rests her arms on my shoulders beacuse it allows her access to stroking the back of my neck and sliding her fingers through my hair...sometimes she scratches my head too ...those are some of the things that I like that she does while we kiss...

------------------
...or is that just me being naive
again?

[This message has been edited by windycityskacore (edited 06-03-2005).]

Posts: 49 | From: Chillinois, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask why you'd assume one would kiss/touch men and women differently, or in different areas, only based on gender?

Because even from ONLY a personal perspective, in over 20 years years of kissing an awfu lot of men and women alike, I've never found that to be so.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~*ensalada_mixta*~
Activist
Member # 23425

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assume - I asked what guys and girls alike like when kissing of either gender. In heterosexual couples, since guys are often taller (and I'm trying really hard not only to generalise here), they can often sort of reach down to hold their girlfriend and I was wondering how girls acted in return.. But I am totally interested in what any couple of any stature does in that respect and I don't mean to offend. Sometimes some of us type in generalisations but I'm sorry and I do try.
Everyone else sort of seemed to like my topic

[This message has been edited by ~*ensalada_mixta*~ (edited 06-03-2005).]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey salad, it's cool, you just have to extend the topic to ALL couples.

in my case, I probably don't even have the answer you're looking for because my boyfriend and I are only an inch different in height. and in the past, he's dated plenty of women who have been taller than him. there are couples regardless of orientation who have height disparities. After all, not all lesbians are the same height, right?

anyway, just be careful to phrase your questions so they're inclusive. it's a cool topic and we should be inviting everyone to join in.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredsilly2
Activist
Member # 21893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredsilly2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha funny that it was brought up about being exclusive/inclusive. My boyfriend and I are, speaking of which, pretty interchangable when it comes to roles of what a guy or girl is naturally "assumed to do". Usually with us, it's something like hands on each others waist. Or sometimes I grab him by his pant pockets. Other times we just put our hands on each others shoulders.

aw, there's just so many wonderful ways to kiss

------------------
-the maker is surely one who makes themself.-

[This message has been edited by taintedclosure (edited 06-03-2005).]

Posts: 146 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by taintedclosure:
haha funny that it was brought up about being exclusive/inclusive. My boyfriend and I are, speaking of which, pretty interchangable when it comes to roles of what a guy or girl is naturally "assumed to do". Usually with us, it's something like hands on each others waist. Or sometimes I grab him by his pant pockets. Other times we just put our hands on each others shoulders.

aw, there's just so many wonderful ways to kiss

Agreed.

Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I wasn't even actually making a niggle about inclusivity. I was simply wondering why one would assume gender made any difference, because it was curious to me as yes, height differences exist among couples of all genders, so I couldn't figure out what other difference one might assume existed.

In fact, save kissing little students of mine on the forehead when I used to teach kindgergarten, being a short person, I don't believe I have ever kissed anyone of any gender who is shorter than me. )

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
(I wasn't even actually making a niggle about inclusivity. I was simply wondering why one would assume gender made any difference, because it was curious to me as yes, height differences exist among couples of all genders, so I couldn't figure out what other difference one might assume existed.

In fact, save kissing little students of mine on the forehead when I used to teach kindgergarten, being a short person, I don't believe I have ever kissed anyone of any gender who is shorter than me. )

It may be that the stereotypes come into play here? Perhaps the user is wondering if the "girl's hands on shoulders, guy's hands around waist" stereotype applies, or is a load of rubbish. That was the way I read it, anyway.

In response to the question, depends. Usually we follow the stereotype. Occasionally, we switch, sometimes both of us have our hands one each other's waists/shoulders. Lying down, we tend to either cuddle up or perhaps one of us will put a hand on the other's face. It truly depends how we feel. I guess we're a variable couple. ^.^

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabiteen
Neophyte
Member # 22086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rabiteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, well usually if we're sitting down we tend to just generally wrap our arms around each other and don't really stay in one position... When standing in public I usually go for the holding both hands so neither of us would have our hands on each oher.

Actually now that you mention it, I've actually had this discussion with my boyfriend, becuase he sometimes puts his arms around my waist, and that would normally be a queue for me to put mine round his shoulders/neck. But I'm quit lazy, and I don't like reaching up (in spite of the fact that he's not any taller than me), so I sometimes put my arms round his rib cage and grab onto his back....

Posts: 30 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ariesdiva
Activist
Member # 23103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ariesdiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i normally rest my arms on the guys shoulders or put my hands on the back of his neck

------------------
~*~DiVaLiZiOuS~*~

Posts: 74 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Kissing is fun! Heehee.

As for where i place my hands, when I kiss my fiance. Lots of places. his cheeks, my fingers will run down his lips as i kiss, his hair, his neck, shoulders, waist, his back (run down my fingers). Fun to do!

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually wrap my forearms around his neck/shoulders, not in a holding way but more of a hug.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvinhp89
Activist
Member # 21227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvinhp89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do I put my hands? Lots of places, I'm not picky. My boyfriend usually has his hands on my waist but sometimes he wraps his arms around me. I usually have my hands on his arms, shoulders, or I'll play with hair. I also like to put my hands against his back and occasionally I let them slip down to his butt (but only when we're alone!)
Posts: 95 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaitSeesRainbows
Neophyte
Member # 17069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaitSeesRainbows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me see, I like to hold their faces, cup their cheeks. This is both genders. This thread made me think of slow-dancing though, because of the neck/waist deal. So my two cents about that is: with girls, I hold their waists and usually they put their arms around my neck. Guys, I'm usually with my arms around the neck because of the height difference of all the guys I've ever danced with. I'm a girl, btw, lol.

Cait

------------------

Posts: 24 | From: Oregon, US | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I'm a guy, and here's what I like:

Kissing

Seriously, that's it. Placement doesn't matter too much to me, just as long as it's original and fun.

Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brite Crayon83
Activist
Member # 23517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brite Crayon83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent noticed really where i put my hands until I read this post. Now when I kiss my boyfriend, I noticed that I always put my hands on his face, I always kinda rub his cheeks. He usually puts his hands around my waste or he rubs my arms.
Posts: 74 | From: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairebear23
Neophyte
Member # 23794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairebear23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I am (unfortunately) quite tall, and taller than my boyfriend, I usually put my arms around his neck...because there's usually nowhere else to put them due to our height difference.

------------------
Someone gave you good advice and you didn't take it? That's not ironic, that's just stupid.

Posts: 4 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no specifics on where I place my hands, but I usually either hold his waist or run my hands through his hair. (I love pplaying with his curles! *squeals*) He also seems to like when I hold his pants pockets or his belt loops.

Of course, who says your hands have to stay still?

Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phswimmer16
Neophyte
Member # 23920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phswimmer16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kissing is such a great topic! when my boyfriend and i kiss, i usually put my arms around his neck. if we are really getting into it, he will put his hands on my butt and i stoke his hair because i know that he really likes that. something that works really well when i want to get my way, is that i rub his ears. he loves that and he always gives into to what i want to do.
Posts: 7 | From: turlock, ca | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horizons
Neophyte
Member # 23815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horizons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is such a cool topic. it great to see what everyone does when they kiss

with my last bf i generaly had my arms around his waist when i kissed him goodbye or when we were in public. when we were alone or in bed however i did anything from touching his chest, back, pants or cheek depending on how i felt at the time.

Posts: 6 | From: australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mags05
Neophyte
Member # 21757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I are about the same height ( he's 1 inch taller) and I love running my fingers through his hair ( he has really curly hair!!) as well as on his shoulders or back. He doesn't always put his hands on my waist either. He likes placing his hands on my neck or through my hair.
Posts: 36 | From: Nl, Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleduckling
Activist
Member # 22480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleduckling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually put my hands around his neck and he has his around my waist. Although, I've often wondered because I'm so short (he's like 8 inches taller than me!!) if I'm pulling too much on his neck....any guys out there feel that way?

I like the idea about holding a belt loop/pants pocket, might have to try that....

Posts: 50 | From: us | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~*ensalada_mixta*~
Activist
Member # 23425

Also....how many people here shut their eyes when they kiss? Always?

And how many people who shut their eyes find it annoying when the other person keeps theirs open? Who likes the other person looking?

[This message has been edited by ~*ensalada_mixta*~ (edited 06-18-2005).]

Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ~*ensalada_mixta*~:
Also....how many people here shut their eyes when they kiss? Always?

And how many people who shut their eyes find it annoying when the other person keeps theirs open? Who likes the other person looking?

[This message has been edited by ~*ensalada_mixta*~ (edited 06-18-2005).]

More often than not, my eyes are open when we kiss. His are always locsed, though; I like watching his facial reactions while we kiss. lol. I never thought about eyes opened or closed, though.

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you think about it, it all depends on what kind of kiss. like if its just a quick good bye kiss, you generally dont touch If im standing up, I put my hands around his shoulders. I mean I dont have anyone to kiss right now so im just speaking from past experiences. Sitting down/laying down, hands are usually all over the place.

I have kissed a guy who was (WAY) Shorter then me, but it was awkard and a one time thing. I didnt put much thought into it.

------------------
my bucket of tears

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minxette
Neophyte
Member # 24013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minxette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...great topic, btw

It really depends. My guy's only a few inches taller than me, so height's not really that big a deal for us. He'd usually have his arms around my waist or on my shoulders, like he's hugging me, and I'd generally put my arms behind his neck. Or one of us would have our hands on the other's belt loops/in their pockets. Or we'd simply hold hands. Sometimes I'd close my eyes, sometimes I'd keep them open, and same with him.

Though I'd have to say my favorite is when he comes up and hugs me from behind and kisses the back of my neck

[This message has been edited by minxette (edited 06-19-2005).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.