Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » could i be allergic to lube?

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: could i be allergic to lube?
Member # 23530

Icon 5 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

My boyfriend and I have been having sex for a little over a year, and the first few times we didn't use any lube, and I found it unbelievably painful. Since then, we'd always use lube, and although this decreased the pain, there was still a lot of pain, and usually bleeding. The last few times I'd also felt a stinging sensation during sex, that continued for a day or so afterwards (especially when urinating). I had been planning to go to the doctors about this.
However, at the weekend I went to stay with him, and we didn't have any lube. I was a bit nervous about trying to have sex because I thought it would be way too painful. But we decided to try anyway, and for the first time, there was absolutely no pain or bleeding at all. Could the lube have been what was causing some of the pain/stinging? We did try a couple of different brands, but I'm interested if there are cases of people being allergic to lube at all?
Thanks for any replies!

Posts: 1 | From: UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14139

Icon 10 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People can be allergic to lube, yes. But it may be that there are also other factors involved as well. The prolonged stinging when urinating could be a sign of some sort of urinary infection. So seeing your doctor is a good move. Make sure you have the doctor answer all the questions that you have. That's what they're there for.

I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Member # 21797

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem. It's only when using the KY warming liquid though

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
keep it simple. Instead of using warming lubes (the human body is already a toasty 37 degrees centigrade), use a regular lube like Astroglide or KY liquid (no warming!!!) and see if that works. test it on your arm first ot see if there is a reaction.

As for lube allergies, it's pretty common especially with spermicidal lube. I am allergic to spermicide, and yeah, there are some places where allerigc reactions are just no fun at all.

LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3