Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » period while pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period while pregnant?
littleduckling
Activist
Member # 22480

Icon 4 posted      Profile for littleduckling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading something on another post that made me a little confused and worried. Is it true that you can have a few periods while being pregnant? And if not and you are just shedding lining after you get pregnant, how do you know the difference between your period and that? Is it lighter or heavier, or only last a day or....are there any ways of knowing? This is worrying me. Thank you so much for answers you can give me.
Posts: 50 | From: us | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shedding your lining is the same as having a period; when you menstruate, your uterine lining is sloughing off, and that is what comes out.

Some women MAY have spotting when they first concieve, and while the placenta forms its attatchments, but that is EXTREMELY light and nothing like a menstrual period. Some women may be so worried about being pregnant, that when they see that spotting, they assume it's their period and they are not pregnant. However, this spotting or "breakthrough bleeding" does not happen to everyone.

But no, if you are having a period, clots and heavy flow and all, basically more than just a few drops of blood in your panties, you are not pregnant.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BeauteAmericai
Neophyte
Member # 21650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeauteAmericai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bled moderately in the first 4-6 weeks of my pregnancy. That coupled with multiple positive pregnancy tests and a doctor's confirmation made it all very confusing! However, I ended up miscarrying at 9 weeks so I'm unsure rather or not the moderate bleeding early on was any indication of an unhealthy pregnancy. To answer your question, bleeding during pregnancy can definitely occur and is sometimes normal but if it's heavy and/or clotting then pregnancy is unlikely from what my gynocolegist has told me.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.