Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Condoms..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms..
sam3110
Neophyte
Member # 22182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam3110     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lubricated or not? any suggestions as to which ones you would reccomed? cheers.
Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lubricated are nice because, duh, they're lubricated and therefore it makes sex go a lot smoother and more comfortably. However, if you invest in lube along with condoms, unlubricated are just as good.
Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter that much if you're using an extra condom-safe lubricant with your condoms - which you should be doing. Even if you get "lubricated" condoms, there is not enough lubricant on them to do much and most of it comes off on your hands and the condom wrapper. So you need a bottle of extra condom-safe lubricant (like Astroglide). Apply a drop to the inside then as much as you want to the outside.

And of course you should skip anything with the word "spermicidal" in it.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong about this but I thought the main reason for the lubricated version was more for ease of putting it on as opposed to partner comfort.
Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkpixie147
Neophyte
Member # 22554

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pinkpixie147     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why should i skip anything with the word spermacidal in it? thats the only kind of condom ive used before, I thought it was healthy for you.or at least somewhat....??

quote:
Originally posted by KittenGoddess:
Doesn't matter that much if you're using an extra condom-safe lubricant with your condoms - which you should be doing. Even if you get "lubricated" condoms, there is not enough lubricant on them to do much and most of it comes off on your hands and the condom wrapper. So you need a bottle of extra condom-safe lubricant (like Astroglide). Apply a drop to the inside then as much as you want to the outside.

And of course you should skip anything with the word "spermicidal" in it.

Posts: 4 | From: Montana,United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCagedOne
Activist
Member # 3746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCagedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spermicidal condoms are a bad idea for two reasons. First, the spermicide (which is really just a watered down form of dishsoap) can cause irritation in the genital region, making you more prone to getting STI/STD's.
Second, there really isn't enough spermicide on those condoms to really make a dent in the amount of sperm that could escape the condom in the event of an accident.
As for lubricated condoms being easier to put on, I've really never had a problem using either type. I always use extra lube (Astroglide) inside the tip and on the outside anyway though.

------------------
"A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkey's monkey"
----
"We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Posts: 52 | From: Usually somewhere between MI & FL - currently KY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredsilly2
Activist
Member # 21893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredsilly2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally recommend a lubricated condom and then using lube. I think you can benefit in comfort with lube unless you can really produce a lot on your own.

------------------
-the maker is surely one who makes themself.-

Posts: 146 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.