Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Is it appropriate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it appropriate?
xxxheatherxxx
Neophyte
Member # 21654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxxheatherxxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's not appropriate to discuss technique in these topics but i was wondering if it's acceptable to either refer sites for technique or to like give our my email or SN to talk about that stuff privately? or is it the policy to just defer from any technique-related conversation altogether?
Posts: 29 | From: anaheim | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterina
Activist
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I have anything against it, but I read in another scarleteen thread that they won't allow any exchange of e-mail addresses because it's against policy to allow exchange between minors or to allow potential corruption through exchanging contact details.
Posts: 133 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's really not.

We've answered an aspect of this for you before: it isn't okay, as the registration guidelines explain, to post emails on the boards here, and that's for our user's protection. sadly, the world we live in is such that there are all too many adults who will lie about being teenagers and really take advantage of/prey upon minors talking about sex.

Per referring sites: if they are sites which are 18+, adults sites, then again, no, it's not okay to post them here. People who want to find them and break their rules can use Google for that, easy.

Moreover, and I think I've also said this to you before, let me be frank: I have done over the years, sex advice for adults as well as for young adults. Technique information seriously is very rarely helpful for ANYONE. I can't begin to tell you how many couples I've observed learning that, and becoming very frustrated, and really, having really crummy sex because they've managed to forget that it's creativity, invention, imagination, communication that makes for good sex, not a manual written like you'd see for putting a car engine together. Now, maybe if you and someone else had the same partner? Then it might be somewhat helpful. Otherwise, people simply differ way to much -- even day to day -- for most "put tab A in slot B" stuff to be anything but a big, fat waste of time.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxxheatherxxx
Neophyte
Member # 21654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxxheatherxxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the clearup, and i understand your thoughts on technique and i agree with them, but sometimes ive gotten a few good ideas here and there from different resources. i know everyone is different, but i think sometimes its healthy to try new things and learn new stuff as well. however, i realize this is not a site for that type of thing and i'll steer clear of any talk of that, and if i had been aware of this before i wouldn't have posted the topic.

[This message has been edited by xxxheatherxxx (edited 02-06-2005).]

Posts: 29 | From: anaheim | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
N
Neophyte
Member # 20990

Icon 7 posted      Profile for N         Edit/Delete Post 
Only universally valuable "technique" tip I ever heard:

Make sure you don't bang your head against anything hard, like the wall. ;-)

Posts: 37 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.