Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » horny/period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: horny/period
Caterina
Activist
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any biological reason why you're sometimes most horny during your period, when it's not very practical to do anything about it? I find this really annoying, since generally I have low sex drive and it only seems to step up when I'm bleeding and not about to do anything to appease myself.
Posts: 133 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvinhp89
Activist
Member # 21227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvinhp89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if there is a biological reason or not. Different girls get aroused at different times. Sorry I'm not much help.
Posts: 95 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, some women do find that they're particularly interested in sex at particular points in their cycle, but it's different points for different women (for example, for some women it's around the time of ovulation).

So, yes there are biological reasons in the sense that with all the hormonal fluctuations going on, it's not surprising if it sometimes has an effect on your levels of sexual interest.

However, there aren't biological reasons in the sense of "at this point in your menstrual cycle, when hormone x does whatever, you will feel this, that or the other". Because in fact, it varies so much from woman to woman.

However, as a practical point, blood doesn't prevent you from doing anything about sexual desire - in fact, many women find masturbation helps relieve period pains .

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 02-03-2005).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterina
Activist
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But when I get sexual desire I'd like to be up close and personal with my bf, but at the same time I'm really not into him doing anything to me when I've got my period (and probably neither is he, poor soul). But if I'm on my period and we're kissing or whatever, I want more than ever for him to touch me but at the same time I don't want anything messy going on.
Posts: 133 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen it theorized in a few different places that some women may feel a rise in libido during menstruation for a few different reasons: because of greater lubrication, as well as because for *most* women, menses is a time when they are least likely to be fertile, so a decreased worry of pregnancy occurs.

Of course, the latter is pretty heterosexist, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterina
Activist
Member # 21858

So who here actually enjoys/has a boyfriend who enjoys doing stuff when the girl is menstruating?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Let's please remember that not everyone is heterosexual, eh?)

But, LOTS of women have partnered sex, with partners of all genders, when mentruating, in terms of various sexual activities.

Some find only some activities their partners or they are comfy with, some find all are fine for either or both parties, some find that either or both partners just put the kibbosh on sexual activities, period (ba-dum-dum) during menstruation.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely enough, I find that my libido goes through the floor. At the same time, my SO's libido goes out the roof. I'm convinced it's his bodies last ditch attempt to get me pregnant. Or, considering he really is not wanting to be a father and claims he hates kids (but I disagree--actions speak louder than words) it's more of a joke between us.

He has no problem with my menses. We don't put things off or anything because I'm on my period. If anything, we put it off because I just don't really want to do anything.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
N
Neophyte
Member # 20990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for N         Edit/Delete Post 
I *am* a boyfriend who doesn't mind touching or going down on my girlfriend when she has her period. And she also tends to get a lot hornier at that time.

Unfortunately, she is uncomfortable thinking about having me touch her genitals when she has her period, even though I don't mind at all. She's said that she feels oddly ambivalent, wanting me to touch her, and enjoying it, but feeling uncomfortable about it.

It makes her somewhat more comfortable if we put a towel under us, which we don't care if it gets stained.

[This message has been edited by N (edited 02-05-2005).]

Posts: 37 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterina
Activist
Member # 21858

So, N, you don't mind licking your girlfriend out even when she's bleeding?

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.