Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Virgin STDS? Possible or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virgin STDS? Possible or not?
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to contract an STD from your partner if he is a virgin in all areas of sexual activity? Must you be truly sexually active to contract an STD?

Thank you =)

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is possible, with some STIs.

For many, intimate sexual contact or genital contact needs take place in most instances. But for some STIs that isn't the case: for instance, both pubic lice and HPV-I are very prevalent in youth and no sexual contact is required.

(And of course,transmitting an STI should be as much of a concern as contracting one, so per usual, safer sex practices, icluding latex barriers AND testing, are always advised for at least the first six months of a sexual partnership.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxxheatherxxx
Neophyte
Member # 21654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxxheatherxxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STD's like HIV/AIDS can be transmitted by the parents to the child which the child can transmit without having had any sexual activity of their own. im not sure if any other STD's are the same
Posts: 29 | From: anaheim | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
But for some STIs that isn't the case: for instance, both pubic lice and HPV-I are very prevalent in youth and no sexual contact is required.

HPV-I? Genital Warts? I was under the impression that direct genital contact had to occur to contract this STD.

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad typo! Bad, bad!

HSV. Oral herpes, which can then be passed orally or genitally.

Sorry for the confusion.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think nothing of it =) Though I was rather confused, lol.

Are oral herpes just regular cold sores, or blisters as they appear in genital herpes?

Heather
Member # 3

Cold sores are, in fact, oral herpes.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.