Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Thong iritation vs. STD/STI?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thong iritation vs. STD/STI?
Electric_Amish
Activist
Member # 14443

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Electric_Amish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I didn't bring enough underwear back home from college, and now I'm down to thongs. I generally hate thongs. Especially in my work pants. So all this week I've been either going without underwear or wearing thongs. And I've been working a lot, and the uniform pants suck (basically perma-wedgie), and I wore a thong with them yesterday. To finally get to the point, I'm having massive irritation today. I first noticed it when I got home last night, minor irritation that really seemed to be caused from the thong. And today I also didn't wear underwear, and wore my uniform pants, and it's been hell. It seems to be almost showing the symptoms of herpes, what with the bumps, itching, and minor pain. (But no fever, fatigue, or other infection symptoms. And discharge is completely normal.) I STRONGLY doubt if it's herpes (or any other STD) seeing as how the only four people who have ever come in contact with my vagina are clear. (One's been tested and came out clear, the other two have been with the one that has been tested, and the other one's never done ANYTHING with a girl besides me.) So, sorry this is so long, but could thong irriation be a reasonable explanation? If it doesn't clear up within a couple days, I'll get it checked out, but just wondered what y'all thought. Thanks a lot!

------------------
I live in a giant bucket.

Posts: 60 | From: Clemson, SC, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thong irritation is the most likely explanation, especially if your thongs are not made of cotton or your pants are very tight. Thongs and non-cotton underwear don't allow as much air flow.

For the next couple of days, I would switch to cotton, bikini underwear (even if you have to go buy a couple of pairs) and see if that helps your irritation. If it doesn't, go see your doctor. Also, since you can't be sure that it's irritation from your underwear you should probably refrain from sexual activities until it clears up or you see a doctor.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Electric_Amish
Activist
Member # 14443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electric_Amish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Yeah, coincidentally, last night i went out and bought a pack of cotton bikini underwear, and it seems to be getting a little better. It's hurting and itching like crazy, but I'm assuming/hoping that it's because it's healing. But I was able to get a good look at it, and it's rather odd-looking. Although it doesn't look as bad as it feels, there are several white bumps, and one large, flat black one that may have popped. The sores are larger than the ones in the herpes pictures I've seen, and it doesn't seem to be genital warts (as, from what I understand, those are generally painless? am I right?)
Posts: 60 | From: Clemson, SC, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind that some STDs can also be transmitted non-sexually, and some vaginal infections can arise "spontaneously" without needing to be passed on by someone else.

So I'd strongly suggest getting this checked out by a doctor.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Electric_Amish
Activist
Member # 14443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electric_Amish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm gonna get it checked out, but the thing is, I don't have health insurance. But my boyfriend is being excessively supportive, calling free clinics and the like (the whole time convincing each other I don't have an STD). So, what kinds of STD's and infections can be transmitted nonsexually?
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some non-sexually transmitted diseases can include pubic lice, oral herpes and yeast infections. All these are possible to contract without being sexually active.

------------------
*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Electric_Amish
Activist
Member # 14443

Okay, so this is really giving me hell. Would it be bad to put neosporin or any other topical analgesic on it? Even vaseline, something to put me out of my misery!

BTW, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't put anything on it thats not made to go there. I would call your GYNO and make an appointment right away-if it's bothering you that much.

------------------
*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
00goddess
Activist
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00goddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is some thong advice that came in very handy for me:

when you are buying a thong, buy it one size larger than the size underwear you usually wear. I used to always find thongs to be chafing and uncomfortable, but since a friend told me about this (she is a sexworker and called it an "old stripper's trick") I love thongs. I buy soft cotton ones (it's always a good idea to wear cotton undies, or at least have a cotton crotch) and they are super-comfortable.

I do not think it is correct that thongs allow less air flow than other underpants. Any underpants that are too tight or of a non-breathing material will allow less flow than underpants that are looser or have cotton crotches.

Genital warts can be painful, or painless. They can bleed, or not bleed. They can also be oddly colored.

However, this could be just a case of thong irritation, or an infection caused by the too-tight pants- chafing combined with lack of air.

Either way, you should see a doctor ASAP.

Until you see the doctor, you can buy a vaginal cream over the counter at a pharmacy to relieve the pain.

- 00goddess

------------------

[This message has been edited by 00goddess (edited 12-26-2004).]

Posts: 50 | From: houston, TX | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buying vaginal cream over the counter is NOT a good idea. Since you don't know what it is, cream that is not perscribed could cause more pain or complications. For instance, if it was an infection you might irritate it buy putting cream on it, or make it worse.

Just go see a doctor. If it's that bad, go to urgent care NOW. Only a doctor can diagnose it and start making you feel better.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
southernbelle87
Neophyte
Member # 20508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for southernbelle87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a frequent thong-wearer and have been for a while. I've tried every different kind out there and I've found that a majority of the irritation I experienced came from the elastic lining of the thongs. Since even 100% cotton thongs have this uncomfortable elastic, I've switched to thongs that have a small percentage of spandex (most of mine are 92% cotton and 8% spandex). I've found that the lining isn't so much like pure elastic, and is usually lined with a stretchy and comfortable cotton. Of course, this is just my preference, and using thongs that are not 100% cotton may or may not be the healthy way to go.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.