Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pregnancy and the pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy and the pill?
jillybilly
Neophyte
Member # 19523

Icon 7 posted      Profile for jillybilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so i'm going to the doctor on thursday and i'm going to bring up going on the BCP with her so she can help me talk to my mom about it, the thing is, i've already had semi unprotected sex with my boyfriend about a week and a half ago (not last sunday but the one before it, on the 7th) and although he never came inside of me i know that there is a chance of being pregnant. if i want to go on the pill, since there is that small chance of my being pregnant, do i have to get tested before i can actually start taking the pill? and if so, when can i take the test?
Posts: 31 | From: White Rock, BC, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can probably go ahead and test for pregnancy now. We generally recommend that you wait 10 days from the incident or until you've missed a period, and then retest a week later to make sure. You've also got an STD risk, so maybe you should also ask to get tested when you see your doctor.

The pill is pretty decent at protecting against pregnancy, but it doesn't do a thing about STDs. Thus, we really recommend pairing condoms with the pill for the best protection. Otherwise, we recommend that both you and your partner have been tested twice, six months apart, while being completely monogamous and practing safer sex methods.

------------------
I can count to purple backwards!

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this makes it doubly important that you don't start smoking again -- smoking causes severe complications with hormonal birth control.

Good for you for trying to talk about this with your mom! That can be really hard, no matter how understanding she may be. I hope everything goes well.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.