Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Am I being paranoid here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I being paranoid here?
lonelyone
Neophyte
Member # 19953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonelyone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Iam new here and need some input about something. Five months ago I had protected sex with a call girl I used a latex condom that diddn't break,there was oral sex she performed on me but also with a condom,there was no foreplay of any kind I diddn't give her oral sex,there was no anal sex at all,I never fingered her or anything like that and I never entered her with out the condom. All that being said the next day I was a bit sore probably from having sex I think it was my first time and I never had sex before that. I had these little bumps on my groin where my pubic hairs are and went to the ER and had them checked they said they were infected hair folicals and not herepes as I feared. they said they would go away on thair own or with cream they prescribed for me which they did and haven't been back since. I also had a little bit of a headache and such but no fever or anything. There was the flu going around then here in Florida at that time though so could have been coincedence. Anyway I waited 3 months and got tested for stds at my local clinic I was tested for everything except herpes they don't test for that there. my tests were all negetive including the hiv test which I'am deathy afraid of. The lab tech that gave me my test results said that some people are told to test again at six months for this but she said given my situation and stuff that wasen't needed. When I asked her why she said that,she told me it was said for poeple who have unprotected sex,sex with someone else in the 3 months before getting tested which I diddn't do and people with immune disorders are the people referred to when that is said. I called my state std hotline and they seconded what she told me,saying if I had no sex in the 3 months before getting tested and had protected sex to begin with that if the tests for hiv said I was negative at 3 months I was negative and that was it no need for further testing. they also said the same thing the lab tech said that the six month retest thing was for people who had unprotected sex,sex during the time waiting to get tested or an abnormal immune system. She also told me that anyone with a normal immune system would show something in 3 months and that with the blood tests they have now that if something was there god forbid they woul find it is this true?

I know hiv is in vaginal secreations but being this was my frist time having sex this is going to sound like a dumb question. But being this girl was call girl and not "in the mood" so to speak would there even be vaginal secreations at all? do vaginal secreations automaticly happen once a penis enters the vargina ordoes a gril need to be put in the mood for this to happen at all?

I'am so nervous about this everyone I think its getting to a point where its all in my head at this point and theres no logical need for fear anymore. The only thing bothering me now is I have these little bumps like zits kinda about 9 of them on my right side where a love handle would be if I had them. They came on after I worked very hard in the heat helping a friend move some things out of storage and they're still there but aern't anywhere else could it be a heat rash maybe? Is this a sign of any std that you know of? is it safe to say I'am out of the woods at this point? Do I need get retested or am I being paranoid?

[This message has been edited by lonelyone (edited 09-14-2004).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to be honest it does sound like you're being a tad bit paranoid--you had safe sex in the first place as well as a clear STI screen.

If you're still nervous about HIV, there's really no harm in getting tested one more time at the 6 month mark, though it sounds like you've been told it's really not necessary. But, if it would put your fears to rest, go for it.

Vaginal secretions are basically always present, since the inside of the vagina is always moist. Sometimes, depending on cycle/level of arousal/various other factors, there are more, but they're pretty much always present. However, I've gotta stress that since you used a condom correctly, it doesn't really sound like you came into contact with any--I mean, that's what condoms do.

As for your new rash, it really does sound like a heat rash. If you're nervous about it you can get it checked out, though.

PS--If you're this worked up over this sexual encounter, maybe you should rethink your readiness for sex? Just a thought. Check out Ready or Not? the infamous sex readiness checklist

------------------
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbecued iguana

[This message has been edited by MarvellousPurple (edited 09-15-2004).]

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strictly defined paranoia means "behavoir characterized by well defined delusions, of persecution, grandeur or both". No, you do not sound paranoid. You do sound like you have worries about what happened, and who knows what motivates the way we think about our experiences. Ultimately you do.

From your physical health standpoint I would say the lab person gave you bad counsel. Many states REQUIRE HIV pre & post test infomration be provided by a health care provider, most often the ordering person. I do not think you should have been told to forgo the second test becasue you had "safe" sex.

Is the concept of "safe" as an absolute valid? Sadly no, but being safer can lessen the worry. It is up to you to be as safe as possible. You should have the followup test as seroconversion (blood test changing to positive) to positive HIV status may go beyond the intial test interval, if negative at that point and you have had no other contacts, you can pretty much let that worry go. As to HSV (herpes simplex virus), there are very nifty antibody blood tests, but these may be meaningless if you have ever had an oral cold sore. It may lead to needless worry as BOTH virus types (I & II) can occur at either location - mouth or genitals, or other skin. It only says your body knows what the virus looks like, and which one it is, but not where and when you got exposed.

Here are three sites that may be great resources as well as the super info found here. http://www.herpeshelp.com/ http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/dstd/HerpesInfo.htm http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/testing.htm

As to your mental health, talk to a trusted freind and work through your feelings about this encounter. Your beliefs and value system may have some conflicts wresting for attention at this point.

I hope this helps some

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelyone
Neophyte
Member # 19953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonelyone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
barb I was given pre test counseling and they did mention the conversion thing to me,thats why I was thrown when they said at the test results appointment I diddnt need to retest the state std hotline said the same thing also thats why I was thrown. The pre counsel said if I was negative at 3 months I can/should retest but given what I told them at the clinic same as i told u guys here that they woulden't lose any more sleep over the retest. I guess what they and you guys where trying to tell me is that the chances of me getting any std was so slim not to worry does this sound right? As for the bumps please say they no indicitive of hiv? Does hiv produce anything like this? thanks again for all your help so far.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turning positive 3 months after exposure is unusual. If you were at 3 1/2 months after your sexual contact that may be why they said no retest in needed, but depending on the exposure risk a retest may be OK too.

What I am hearing you say is you are kind of stressed out about the whole adventure and want some reassurance. Find an expert in your area, sit down and get factual information to put your mind at ease. Make a list of questions to take with you. I think it will help you with your rash questions too.

Maybe call the STD hotline back?

[This message has been edited by Barbarosa (edited 09-15-2004).]

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.