Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Question
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Mom and I decided that we are going to get "the pill" for me. We are going to go to this place I think it's like a planned parenthood clinic. I just wanted to know what the doctors would do to me while I was there so I could get the birth control pills. Would they need to look at me like a GYN exam? And whatever they do if the do anything, why do they need to do that? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by CMTFlovesHAH (edited 08-02-2003).]

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually they'll do pretty standard doctor-ish stuff: take your blood pressure and your temperature, ask you a bunch of questions about your health and your family's health, ask you if you're taking any medications, and ask you if you're sexually active. They will probably want to to a GYN exam as well, both because all women who are menstruating or sexually active should be getting annual exams and pap smears, and because they need to make sure that all is well with your reproductive organs before they give you the pills.

You can learn more about what happens during an exam right here: Your First Gynecologist Visit

And just as a side note, if you're going on the pill because you're sexually active or planning to be sexually active, you and your partner(s) should also go for a full STD screen before you start having sex, or as soon as possible if you're already having sex. (Remember, too, that "sex" isn't just intercourse -- things like oral sex and manual sex are types of sex as well, and carry an STD risk.) Learn all about STD testing and why it's a good thing over here: Testing, Testing…

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 2 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you and your partner(s) should also go for a full STD screen before you start having sex, or as soon as possible if you're already having sex. (Remember, too, that "sex" isn't just intercourse -- things like oral sex and manual sex are types of sex as well[/B]

I know you guys and girls of Scarleteen have to say this but, for some of us we know that our partner has never been with anyone else and we also know that ourselves have never been with anyone else. I am not trying to be rude but, I know I don't have and STD or and STI because I have never been with anyone else and neither has my partner. So a test is not needed. I know some of the other posters in this board are in the same boat as me on that.
Also, personally I don't believe that manual sex or oral sex is really sex I know some people do because it is an intimate act but personally I don't believe that is sex. But I know that STD and STI's can be spread by manual and oral sex acts and my same response he my partner has never been with anyone else. Again I am not trying to be rude. But thanks for helping me on my post before and I would really appreciate more information.

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, if you've READ a lot of the site, or any decent amount of medical literature on STDs and STIs, you'd know that what you're saying is fallacious.

Not having sex partners before -- for ANY sexual activity -- means that those two people are very unlikely to have CERTAIN sexually transmitted infections and diseases. But plenty of others can either be nonsexually transmitted (like oral herpes or pubic lice) or come about all by themselves in your bodies (like bacterial or yeast infections).

To boot, you can believe whatever you like personally about sex. But that don't make it so. From a sheerly physiological and sexological perspective, at the lowest common demoninator, "sex" is direct genital contact for the purpose of enjoyment. Partnered sex, in the same vein, is such with another person. Not only is dismissing that not sound as far as STDs and STIs go, it's iffy emotionally, and to boot, it's pretty darned heterosexist.

So, in terms of decreasing STD and STI risks? Those screens and practices ARE needed. You still get to choose whether or not you're going to do that, but stating here they aren't needed isn't acceptable, because it confuses out users who want factual information based on medical realities, not subjective rationalizations.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hon, I'm sorry if you're offended, but since we don't know the history of all our users (and even if we did, we couldn't possibly carry all that information in our heads!) we generally go on the side of caution and provide any and all information that we think could be helpful both to the person asking the question and to anyone else who might come along and read it later because they're in a similar situation.

It is, of course, up to you to decide what terms you want to put on what activities, but from a clinical perspective, oral and manual sex are forms of sex, and since our goal is to provide accurate information, we're going to state things from that perspective. Additionally, since Scarleteen is supportive of people of all genders and sexual orientations, we also don't like to equate "sex" with "penis-in-vagina intercourse" as doing so puts a very heterosexualistic spin on things, which we try to avoid so as to make our site useful to all of our users.

I'm certainly not trying to invalidate your beliefs, but please do realize that there are very specific reasons why we say these things the way we do.

As for STDs, we've said it before and we're going continue to say it: STDs and STIs can be transmitted though non-sexual activty, and lack of prior sexual activity is no guarantee of not having an STD or STI. Again, it's totally up to you what to chose what to believe and how to act, but that's the fact of the matter, and if we stated anything else, we'd be doing a darn poor job of our work here.

Per the guidelines, if you have a complaint about a volunteer or staff member or about how the boards are run, you're free to take it up with Miz S. via email at boards@scarleteen.com.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 11 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, you made me feel crappy. I was not saying that know one should get tested I was just giving my opinion I guess I should have stated that it was my opinion before. Also the oral and manual sex is not really sex is my opinion as well. I didn't want people to take that as a fact. Sorry, I didn't mean to make you all so dang mad. It was just my opinion, I guess serves me right for having an opinion?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure where that was supposed to go, but the fact of the matter is that some things can be based on opinion, and others can't.

For instance, it could be my opinion that the sky is purple with floating frogs, but that doesn't mean it isn't still blue with plain old clouds.

So, the fact of the matter is, things you're saying are similar: they're factually based, not based on opinion. If you choose to DISREGARD them, that's your business, but expecting anyone to give credibility to the dude saying the sky isn't blue is asking a bit much, and so it is with what sexual risk entails, and what sex is from a clinical, sexological and physiological perspective.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.