Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » after going down..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: after going down..
serendipity
Neophyte
Member # 12316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it possible for your tonsils to get irritated either from just the act of giving head, or from swallowing? mine tends to for a few days afterwards. i was wondering if you could get tonsillitis or something like that from the irritation (or if bacteria forms from swallowing maybe?). one person i know got tonsillitis after giving head but she isn't sure if there was a connection, and other than that i've never heard of someone's throat/tonsils (it just hurts a lot to swallow) hurting for a short period afterwards (it tends to last 4-5 days).
Posts: 13 | From: canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure of the connection between tonsillitis and oral sex so maybe another staff member could shed some light on it. But I am thinking if you are engaging in unprotected oral sex, you are running a fairly high STD risk.

Unprotected oral sex is likely to cause the following STDs

quote:
Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
Gonorrhea
Hepatitis B
Herpes Simplex
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV, Warts)
Syphilis

If left unchecked, these STDs could cause some serious long-term damage. I suggest you and your partner get a full body check up including a STD check if you haven't already done so and been cleared by the doctor.

Next time, invest in some condoms for oral sex to keep yourself protected.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
Neophyte
Member # 12316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i definitely debated including in my original post that i was aware of what was about to be posted, but i didn't.. i'm not sure why. anyway, yes i am aware of all of that.
Posts: 13 | From: canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What your friend (and your friend's doctor) diagnosed as tonsillitis could have actually been an infection like gonorrhea. Only if she disclosed that she was engaging in unprotected oral sex could her doctor even have considered testing for what *kind* of bacterial infection was bothering her throat. Without that sort of disclosure, the doctor is just likely to assume just-another-bacterial-infection and give her antibiotics. Granted, the antibiotics will treat the infection even if it's gonorrhea, but that doesn't treat the boy who gave it to her (if he did in fact infect her with something of the sort). This of course can lead to HUGE problems should she and he engage in condomless sexual intercourse.

lesson learned, whatever that soreness is, just prevent it with a flavored condom for oral sex. it's quick, it's easy and it saves you a lot of discomfort.

------------------
Summertime, and the living's easy...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
Neophyte
Member # 12316

isn't gonorrhea a serious STD that COULDN'T be easily treated by an anti-inflammatory?

I know for a fact that it'd not an STD. I just am curious if someone's throat/tonsils can get irritated from it..

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bacterial infection, which can be cured with an antibiotic, as Gumdrop said. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea of using anti-inflammatories from.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF

The night we met I knew I needed you so
And if I had the chance I'd never let you go

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had irritated tonsils/throat from protected oral sex before. If an STD is ruled out, it could just be about friction and bumping.
Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also know that individuals can have an adverse reaction to contact with ejaculate (like rashes and swelling of the skin). if an STD/STI is ruled out, this may be what is happening.

If it still happens while using condoms, then I would think what Poetgirl mentioned might be the case.

------------------
-Scarleteen Sexpert

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a final note, some people find they are quite sensitive to lubricants used on condoms or to certain condoms, when performing oral sex on someone, and experience reactions to either.

If that is suspected, choosing unlubricated condoms, putting some on the inside to make things feel better for the receiving person, or using polyurethane condoms might lessen the symptoms of irritation after giving oral sex, too.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
Neophyte
Member # 12316

thanks very much... that clears some stuff up for me.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.