Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » The Pill and Timing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill and Timing
BCLauren
Neophyte
Member # 13256

Icon 7 posted      Profile for BCLauren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm going to the doc next month and am going to start taking oral contraceptives. I have a question: how do you choose what time will be their "time" to take the pill? Since it's summer and I'm a college student, I'm worried that a time I set during the summer will not work out when I get back to school. To make things more confusing, I may be spending a month in Finland, which is a 6 or 7 hour time difference. If I wanted to take the pill with breakfast while in the US, I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to keep on schedule in Finland. Maybe the patch-style birth control is a better option? I'm just wondering how people here have figured out a good schedule!

Lauren

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at how you spend your time, and take it from there.
Years ago, when I first started the pill, I decided that 6pm would be a good time for me. - I'd usually be home, or travelling home. For me, that time made sense because it would be more consistent than if I said I'd take it when I brush my teeth in the morning or evening (which many gals I know do), because those times change during the week.

Just see what fits for yourself.

Regarding the time change in Finland: discuss this with your doc.

If you are on a combination pill, if you travel no more than 12 time zones, you can take the pill at the time you usually do. - Most pilltypes (that's why you have to ask your doc) are still reliable when 36 hours have passed since the last pill, or when the time between pills is shorter than 24 hours.
So if you usually take the pill at 8am in the morning, you fly out that day to Finland, and take your next pill at 8am Finland time, 17 hours will have passed between your two pills. On the way back, 31 hours will have passed between two pills.
Discuss this with your doc, yes?
The only time to be really careful is when you fly for a long time (20 hours or so), and need to take a pill while you're travelling.

As to the patch: while I haven't used that myself for contraceptive purposes, I have used hormonal patches in the past, and found them to be highly annoying. - I always worried about the thing coming off, they got stuck to clothing or the corners started peeling, no matter how carefully i followed instructions and lastly, I didn't like the fact it was obvious, especially in summer. - I found it impossible to find a spot where it wouldn't get too much movement, that was still concealed.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.