Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » deoderant tampons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: deoderant tampons
sweet'n'sazzy
Neophyte
Member # 11753

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sweet'n'sazzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are deoderant tampons OK? because that's the kind my mom's started buying and i just want to make sure they're OK because i've heard you're never supposed to use those kind. Thanks in advance!
--Sweet'n'sazzy

Posts: 15 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.

I personally wouldn't recommend using them. They're potentially irritating to your vagina, plus from a purely political point of view, I do not like the implication that women "smell" when they have their periods.

Your vagina smells exactly the way it's supposed to smell. If you notice an irregular smell, see your doctor, but other than that?

Your vagine smells *fine* -- seriously.

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deodorant tampons aren't good because artificial fragrance can potentially irritate the delicate tissues of your genitals. It probably won't do any harm to use a couple, but it'd be a good idea to ask your mom to buy unscented tampons.

Also, from my personal experience, even if scented tampons were not potential irritants, they're just not a good idea. Chemical flowery deodorant smell+heat+bodily fluids=not pleasant or necessary.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The1andonlyAmber
Activist
Member # 12779

Icon 5 posted      Profile for The1andonlyAmber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never hear of Deodarant Tampons! I don't think we get them over here in old blighty! (UK)

How do they work?

------------------
Why is it that the person that makes you cry, is the only one who can make you stop.

[This message has been edited by The1andonlyAmber (edited 05-29-2003).]

Posts: 51 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't, really - it's just that the tampon has more chemicals in it to cover up the supposed "smell" from bodily fluids. Which, as DarlingBri said, is a potentially harmful way to think about it, since your menstrual blood and vaginal/cervical secretions smell exactly as they should, which isn't really much at all, and companies are just capitalizing on this fear/hatred of natural body processes that they're trying to instill in us.

</rant>

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Take a little time for sunshine/Take a whole lot of time for love/...Take your life as it may come, 'cause boy, it'll be gone soon/Take a little time for howlin' at the moon..." - Sam Bush, "Howlin' at the Moon"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.