Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: periods
gothicbeautyqueen
Activist
Member # 12941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothicbeautyqueen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey guys. i dont know if this is the right area to post this, if it isnt im sorry. ok im on my period right now and i have really bad cramps to where i want to cry bad. my mom wont get me midol because she says it doesnt work. is that true. does or doesnt it work. also what causes cramps. I mean im sitting here hunched over grabbing my stomach.
Posts: 85 | From: living hell | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stayblack420
Neophyte
Member # 12277

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Stayblack420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Midol before and It never really did anything to help..Well help me anyway..It could work very well for other people..Adivl and things like that can work Just as well..along with a heating pad...I went to ask.com and I asked what causes Menstrual cramps..and this it what it had to say...

"Strong or prolonged contractions of the muscular wall of the uterus. These may be caused by concentration of prostaglandins (hormones found in the cervix and uterus). Research shows that women with dysmenorrhea(menstrual cramps) produce and excrete more prostaglandins than those who don't have as much discomfort.
Dilation (stretching) of the cervix to allow passage of blood dots from the uterus to the vagina in cases where the cervix is narrowed or constricted
Other causes include:
Pelvic infections.
Endometriosis, especially if dysmenorrhea begins after age 20.
Adenomyosis (an abnormal benign growth of the endometrium).
Fibroids or other benign tumors of the uterus.
Use of intrauterine device (IUD)."
So I hope that helps you..I dont get cramps very often but I will say they arent a Picnic

Posts: 7 | From: boothwyn,pa,usa | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*BeC*
Neophyte
Member # 13068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BeC*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey

I used to get really bad period cramps and heavy periods a few years back. I went and saw my doctor (which is probably a good thing to do so that they can run some tests and see if there is some sort of condition causing it- such as endometriosis or an infection) and eventually went on the Pill. This really helped with the cramps and flow, plus made my period shorter. The best bet is to go and see your doctor to at least find out if there is some sort of stronger pain relief you can take.

Good Luck

------------------
*Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly*

Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with *Bec*. I had the same problem with my periods, so my doctor put me on Orthotryciclin.. I think that's how it's spelt. Anyway, I got the huge lecture about how it was just for my period and not to go out and have sex. Of course I was 14 when they put me on it, but it really did help. Sometimes I do get slight cramps, but not as bad as I used to. My only problem now is I forget to take my pills, and then I'm like "well crap." Cause I get the bad cramps again. If your as absent minded about taking medication as I am, they have that new "birth control patch." I'm going to seriously look into it, but good luck. And I know it's probably not the safest thing to do, but when I take advil or midol for my cramps I take 3 instead of 2, but I rarely do it, and I don't advise it at all, but my mom's a nurse, even though that probably doesn't matter. Agh sorry I rant, okay good luck!!

------------------
.a.m.a.n.d.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Body & Soul forum FAQ

What's Causing my Cramps? http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000884.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001087.html

Remedies for Cramps http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001636.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/000020.html

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.