Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Herpes confusion!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herpes confusion!
miroredien
Neophyte
Member # 10206

Icon 5 posted      Profile for miroredien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ladies and gentlemen!

To cut the chase, I've been recently diagnosed with genital herpes, which is lovely I think you'll agree. This just goes to show, and prove (to anyone reading this in doubt) it only takes ONE time without a condom (ever in my case) to get something nasty. Anyway. I've been reading up on herpes as my clinic wasn't exactly helpful on the situation. I know there are two types of herpes. Oral and genital. I know that they are two different strains of herpes, because they could tell from my exam (they didn't touch my mouth) that I didn't have oral herpes. I also know you can spread herpes from genital to oral contact. But how? If you spread it from genital to oral, would it mutate in to the other strain of herpes? Or would it still be the same strain as the genital and come up clear for oral on a pelvic exam? I'm very confused!

Thanks!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out STI File: Herpes Simplex
for info on the two types of herpes virus:

quote:
There are two types of the Herpes Simplex Virus: Simplex I and Simplex II. Simplex I usually infects the mouth (cold sores are Herpes Simplex I) , and Simplex II usually infects the genitals. However, both types can be transmitted sexually (through kissing and oral sex as well as through skin and genital contact), and HS I is not limited to the mouth area. It can also sometimes cause genital-area or anal-area lesions.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiptoe
Neophyte
Member # 11733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiptoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nevermind. I added something that had already been covered in the first reply.

[This message has been edited by tiptoe (edited 05-15-2003).]

Posts: 13 | From: Wisco | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.