Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pills
curlyq
Neophyte
Member # 12078

Icon 5 posted      Profile for curlyq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what does it actually mean to "miss" a pill? Is it when you completely miss a day, or when you forget and take it an hour later than usual? And I know I'm supposed to take it at the same time every day, but I usually take it within 15-30 minutes of the same time (about 7:45), does this make a huge difference?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Missing a pill by 15-30 minutes is no big deal. You basically have 2-3 hour window on either side to take you pill, so you should be fine
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curlyq
Neophyte
Member # 12078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlyq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so it really doesn't matter whether or not you take it at the EXACT same time every day?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celery is right, a 15-30 minute difference won't matter much.

However, if you want to know the exact window you have, I'd encourage you to contact the person who prescribed your pills. With low dose pills, it's even more important that you take them on time. In other words, for your pills, your window may not be as big as 2-3 hours.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The exact same time? No. A difference of a little bit isn't going to be bad. You do need to take them pretty near to the same time if you want them to be at their most effective. The purpose of taking them at the same time each day is to keep the hormone's you're putting into your body constant. So a pill needs to be taken every 24 hours (or as close to it as possible).

------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The1andonlyAmber
Activist
Member # 12779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The1andonlyAmber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I aLways thought I had to to take it with in 12hours of the missed time, so If you take it at 9am, and you only remember to take it at 7pm you're still ok.

I've done this before and my Doctor told me this was fine?

------------------
Why is it that the person that makes you cry, is the only one who can make you stop.

Posts: 51 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

If that's what your doctor told you, then that may be fine in your situation. My doctor told me something similar to that when I was only using the pill to help control acne. However, once I began using it as birth control, she said I needed to take it as close to time as possible.

As I said in the post above, in order for your pill to be the most effective, you need to keep a constant stream of hormones in your body. That means taking a pill every 24 hours. If you wait longer than that, the hormone level drops off and you may be less protected. That's how the pill was designed to be taken for the prevention of pregnancy...once every 24 hours (with a 1-3 hour window, depending upon your particular formulation).

------------------
Sarah Liz

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.