Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » help! condom expiration date?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help! condom expiration date?
alyssa_corday
Neophyte
Member # 12552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alyssa_corday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey i have a question...
my boyfriend and i decided to have sex but the only condoms he had at his house were ones that were a year out of date, we decided that they ones were better than none at all...why do they have an expiration date? Is there a higher risk i could be pregnant? (I know i wont have an STD because he was the first person i slept with and i asked him to get checked out and he was clear) the condom didn't break or anything, his come was inside it.
Please help me!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it didn't break or tear, you're okay.

They have an expiry date because the latex does degrade over time, so basically, you got lucky. In the future, don't use condoms past their expiry dates, and prepare in advance of sexual activity to have the birth control and safer sex tools, like good condoms and lube, well within their dates, at hand.

I am also going to say this, and please understand I'm not calling your boyfriend a liar: very few young men get tested. Yet by the posts at Scarleteen, it would seem almost more young men get tested than young women, which would be the very opposite of what clinics report. In other words, it's safe to say that it's likely most boyfriends telling their partners they have gotten tested have not. That may or may not be the case with your partner, I don't know. But it is clearly the case with a lot of boyfriends here saying they've been tested when they have not.

But those who HAVE will not be likely to tell a partner they're "all clear" because their doctor will have explained that some of the most prevalent STDs and STIs, like genital warts and herpes, cannot be tested for in men accurately if there are no visible sores, and BOTH those diseases can be present but asymptomatic.

So, even if he DID get a screen, that doesn't mean he is all clear by any stretch, so STIs are still certainly an issue.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why do they have an expiration date? Is there a higher risk i could be pregnant?

Because eventually, they will start to degrade. If they were stored in a place with a constant temperature that wasn't too high or low (plus a few other conditions, humidity?), then they may last a bit longer, but I personally wouldn't trust them.

(I know i wont have an STD because he was the first person i slept with and i asked him to get checked out and he was clear)

Have you yourself been checked though, you don't have to have sex to get an STD, the name just means that sex is one way that they spread.

Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alyssa_corday
Neophyte
Member # 12552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alyssa_corday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about a blood test...would stds not show up there?
Could i still have stds from before even though i've never done anything sexually with anyone other than my boyfriend? I've never even kissed someone else!
thank-you for helping me!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to follow up on a point Heather made, and I do not mean to single you out because this advice is for all guys and gals out there, when you discuss STD/STI testing with a partner I think it is a good idea to go into detail, to ask questions, to get specific.

Example:

When did you get tested? Where did you go? What tests did they give you? When did you get your results? What was the testing like? How did you feel? Was that your first time getting tested? How did the doctor treat you?

I understand the importance of trust ina realtionship, but to have trust you need to be honest and have full dsiclosure about your sexual practices and health.

------------------
-Scarleteen Sexpert

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If what he said he got was a blood test chances are he had an HIV test, if anything. And while it's good to get tested for HIV, it's only one of MANY STIs, and often the least likely for young heterosexual teens to have.

So, doesn't sound like he did have a full STI screen, even for those one can get screened for (if he had, he'd also have had some urine testing and urethral swabbing -- which isn't comfortable, so it's something you'll find most men who get screens do bring up). You can find out more about testing here: Testing, Testing…

As far as you, yes, you could. Some really can almost ONLY be transmitted sexually. But others, like say, oral herpes, one can have from childhood onward via nonsexual contact. And if you have engaged in other activities with this partner unprotected (like fellatio) you've already had a sexual risk, to boot.

Which is why we espouse the basic safer sex practices you'll see almost anywhere, which are:

- 6 months of sexual monogamy for ALL activities
- 6 months of safer sex practices for at least all high risk sexual activities,
and
- at least TWO full STD and STI screens for both partners

... before considering any unprotected high-risk sexual activities, like oral, vaginal or anal sex.

More on safer sex right here for you: Safe, Sound & Sexy – A Safer Sex How-To.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.