Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pills Prices $$$

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pills Prices $$$
trooperBoy
Neophyte
Member # 12498

Icon 10 posted      Profile for trooperBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My GF and I are trying to get Birth Control Pills. Just wanted to know:

1.) What brand/kind pills works the best
2.) Price Ranges of the pills
3.) How much would we be paying over a matter of time
4.) Doctor fees/ checkup fees, etc..

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
costs really depend on whether or not you have insurance or can get pills through your school or a clinic. these options tend to be cheaper. if you don't have insurance, pills can be around $25 per month or more.
as far as brands go, that isn't really up to you! different pills work well for different people, so your girlfriend needs to go to the doctor, who will give her a full exam and write a prescription for a pill that he or she thinks would be appropriate. some times it takes some trial and error to find the right pill. again, doctor fees vary. hope that helps.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only a dr. can prescribe birth control pills. You need to have a pelvic and pap smear and the Dr chooses which brand and dosage is appropriate. Self medicating is not a good idea. Birth control pills are medication and can cause serious complications.
Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a_c_munson,

Please do not reply to threads unless you have new information to add.

Thank you.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curious_Girl101
Neophyte
Member # 7903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curious_Girl101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree, its perscribed from your doctor, so you your g/f would need to go see her/him. Since birth control pills are percribed for different things. (for example: i was perscribed to lessen my period and lessen pain), a lower dose.Aswell you can ask the doctor for his/her opionon, or pro knowledge of the best brand/kinds of birthcontrol. Insurance/coverage is alot easier, since you dont have to pay, without it it cost from 20-25 a month (which in my opioion is worth it, if it helps take away the chance of pregnancy).

[This message has been edited by Curious_Girl101 (edited 04-07-2003).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With insurance, picking my pills up at the pharmacy was $30.24. It occured to us that it would be cheaper to use the send away pharmacy that my dad's insurance uses. It's $15 for a 3 month supply. This is for Ortho Tri Cyclene.

My now pregnant friend went to Planned Parenthood, and got her pills for free, because she has no income. They operate on a sliding scale, if I remember correctly.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutie_babe
Neophyte
Member # 11445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie_babe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got birth control without tell my parents or having to get checked out i pay 10 dollars a month. I went to the school nurse she just asked me some questions and she gave the the birth control as easy as that.
Posts: 20 | From: America | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.