Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Proper condom storage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proper condom storage
newtotherealworld
Neophyte
Member # 11318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for newtotherealworld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick question. Does storing a condom in inconsistent temperatures effect its effectiveness at all? I have a pocket in the sleeve of my winter jacket, so It's not really close to my body and isn't subjected to extremely warm temperatures. But it's been in there for a couple weeks and every day it's moves from fairly warm rooms, to outside in the cold during my 15 min walk home, then back into a fairly warm room. Any suggestions here?
Posts: 8 | From: Kingston, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pockets are bad places for condoms period.

If you want to have them with you, somewhere they're subjected to less temp, change and rustle and bustle, like inside a nice little zippy-bag just for your condoms in a backpack without other stuff in there, is a good idea.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newtotherealworld
Neophyte
Member # 11318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newtotherealworld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "coat pocket" I meant a zipped up section on the outside of a snowboarding style winter jacket. Insulated and surrounded by nylon material. The pocket is close to my wrist, so it doesn't come into much contact with body heat. I also have a special pocket in a zippy bag, but because of the lack of insulation in backpacks, I think it would be subjected to even greater temperature changes there. I was just wanting to know if it being moved from the cold canadian outdoors to hanging in my woodstove heated closet would impact its effectiveness at all, since I had previousely read in one of your articles that keeping it in a wallet or regular pocket would decrease effectiveness because of the heat.
Posts: 8 | From: Kingston, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drastic swings in temperature (like taking a condom in from the canada cold into a toasty warm room) can damage your condom.

It's best to keep condoms in a dry place, at a relatively steady temperature of 20C/70F, out of direct sunlight.

We recommend getting a box to put your stuff in (i keep mine in an index card file) and stashing it someplace safe.

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tora
Neophyte
Member # 12153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also have a question on this,

i know that it does that with latex, but does it do the same to polyurethane?

Posts: 12 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.