Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » vasectomy references

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vasectomy references
somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somewhatanonymous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can get peirced, tatooed, vote, smoke and go to war, but according to Dr. Foss I am too young to get a vasectomy. 2 minutes of his time to tell me that he did not believe that it was in my best interests. He did't even talk to me. I had to wait 4.5 months for my appointment after I spent ~4 hours just GETTING the appointment. Then I wasted 1 hour driving to and from (wasting my lunch break, not getting any lunch) 30 minutes filling out paperwork, 20 minutes waiting, missing work, and paying $130 for the consultation; 2 minutes to tell me I am too young. Pissed am I? Oh yes, very.

SO... I am asking for referrals. I am willing to travel anywhere in the continental United States and will pay up to $500 for the proceedure. I will NOT pay for a consultation. If you know a doctor who might perform this surgery for me please let me know and I will be happy to call them and inquire personally.

At 19 years old there are so many people who have already decided to start families, a LIFE LONG decision. Why can't I make the opposite life long decision (negleting the fact that I could attempt a vasovasectomy, artificially inseminate, surrigate, or adopt if I were to ever change my mind)? This experience was the most utterly rediculus waste of time and money that has ever happened to me.

All responses are appreciated.

Posts: 141 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
somewhat, I can emphasize with you a little. I'm not male, but I would like to be sterilized, and I have been told I'm too young, that I'll want kids when I'm older, that I should wait until I'm married so if my husband disagrees it won't be an issue, that I should have one child first...

it's very frustrating. and yes, it's a little stupid. I think the majority of doctors think it's in your best interest to wait a little while to make sure you know what you want, so that the people who aren't so sure get weeded out. ya know?

I'm sorry about your horrible doctor experience. I would have taken it up with his billing department or him directly. arrgh.

in short, I guess I understand the reasons for denying sterilization to younger people, but on a personal level, it still ticks me off.

I'll start a thread about this issue in Sexual Ethics and Politics, too, if you like.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somewhatanonymous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
more people will see the thread in this forum, that's why I picked it

I'm not really in search of a debate, but a doctor who will do his job and not concern himself with my reproductive decisions.

Posts: 141 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem is that is part of a doctor's job. Many doctors don't see themselves as people who provide a service in that way, but more holistically.

Personally? I'd suggest you sit with the phone book and make a batch of calls, explaining where you're at, what you want. Understand though that consultation is often going to be required and it will cost -- that's part of medical ethics, malpractice insurance issues, the works. Any sort of elective surgery is going to involve that: operations like this carry risks, doctors need to inform potential patients of all of them.

But do be aware that any medical service is rarely just about an exchange of money -- you're dealing with the larger issue of medical and ethical responsibility on the doctor's part. They are people, love, not machines.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 01-22-2003).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.