Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » about the gyno...help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: about the gyno...help
SexyChik911
Activist
Member # 11050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SexyChik911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok about what age should u go?? im 13, and ive never been what will they ask u ??? do it hurt, ive never gone and have no plan to
Posts: 64 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missyj
Activist
Member # 10430

Icon 14 posted      Profile for missyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 17 and haven't gone either. From what I am told, most girls go to their first gyno appt around 18 and get a pap smear. I don't think it hurts at all, you just put your legs up in the the stirrups and the doctor puts a metal thing inside you to open you up a little, then takes a q-tip thing and swipes your cervix. This sample gets tested for stuff to make sure you are healthy. I suppose they would ask you 'health' questions and more than likely inquire about your sexual activities, you shouldn't worry though. I am not sure about where you live, but in Ontario you gain full confidentiality in your physician at the age of 16. Wow, did I ever simplify, eh? (lol, yes I am Canadia!) It's nothing to be scared of hundreds of millions of women had their first gyno appt and they all survived, besides yours is still a few years away, so don't stress yourself out!

------------------
Love is natural, and everything that goes with it.

[This message has been edited by missyj (edited 12-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by missyj (edited 12-29-2002).]

Posts: 153 | From: Oakville, Ontario. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you should go when you first become sexually active, for sure...
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If yo'ure not planning to go, i'm kind of wondering why you're asking ... ?

I had my first gyno appointment when i was 8, but that's b/c i was having problems. Many women i know don't go for annual gyn checkups until they're sexually active. Here we recommend you go once you start menstruation.

My last one included a few questions about how many partners i've had, my family's medical history, and if i've been experiencing any problems. Then i was asked to take my pants off, get up on the exam table and relax (!!). The doctor then inserted a speculum (plastic ones are used wehre i am, it looks sort of like a ducks bill), which is used to examine the cervix. A brush is used to take cells from the cervix and put them on a slide. Next, the speculum comes out, and two gloved and lubed fingers go in. Ovaries and uterus are palpated to make sure there is no pain or abnomalities in there. I'm then told i'll be called if there is anything abnormal found and sent on my way. Sometimes spotting occurs, but it's never happened to me.

Really, taking care of your health is your choice and your responsibility. I go to a sexual health clinic in my area, and have found the people there to be very nice and understanding. When you do decide this is something you're interested in doing, it's nice to have someone w/ you for your first exam. I had my bf (of the time) w/ me and as much of a pain in the butt he was (trying to keep me calm and all), i'm really glad he was there.

Planned Parenthood is a good place to start, if you're looking for infomation on where to get it done ... We also have an article on first gyn visits which can be found here

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 12-30-2002).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I'm unsure what you're saying, both due to the slang and the lack of sentence structure. Please, per the guidelines, when you post at Scarleteen, use proper English in the same way you would when doing a paper for school. Thanks.

Just to sum up: ALL women who have begun menstruating should be having annual gynecological exams. You need to do that to stay healthy and be sure you are healthy. Your body doesn't do something mmagic at 18 or when you're sexually active, but instead, when you enter puberty and start menstruating. So please, make and keep those appointments every year. They are really important.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.