Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Long Term Effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Long Term Effects
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried, but to no avail, to find out the answer to my question. What the long term effects of Emergency Contracetpion? Or is there just not enough research to come to a difinitive answer?

------------------
Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! --- HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using it very rarely, really, there aren't likely to be any.

Essentially, the same hormones that are in oral contracpetives are in the MAP, just in different concentrations. But the risk factors of the pill don't really apply, because the pill is taken every day, sometimes for a series of years, and the MAP is taken once in a very blue moon.

No, there aren't yet going to be studies on long-term effects of that occasional use, because it is a relatively new thing. But I think it's it's safe to say the risks or effects are going to be no higher than those for the pill, if you want some sort of guage.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I ask is that a very good friend of mine, who is really quite intelligent, has taken Plan B three times in one month. She won't let me take her to the doctor to get on the pill, and she refuses to use a condom anymore. She says they don't "feel natural." I've tried and tried, but I can't do anymore. And she recently told me she thought she was pregnant. She will not get an abortion, and I highly doubt she'll give it up for adoption.

She then got her period 5 days earlier than usual. I can't kick any sense into her.

I'm out of ideas. Any more?

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez. I don't even know what I can tell you. At some point, people have to be responsible for themselves, and you can't blame yourself - you sound like a great friend for being so concerned about her.

I'm sure you've already tried or thought about this, but can you get her to read some of the articles on the main site, like maybe the Ready or Not? The Readiness Checklist? even print it out and get it to her?

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

She's read most, if not all of the articles. I've been coming here for at least four years, and she visited often for a while.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.