Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Bit of conflicting information

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bit of conflicting information
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 5 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
friday, i went into health services (i'm at university) for UTI treatment, and the nurse practitioner who treated me asked me all about my sexual history, as i'm sure is normal for things of this nature, as well as what i was using for birth control. upon telling her i was using condoms, she told me that i should, in fact, be using spermicide, although not the kind that comes with the condom, but extra spermicidal lube. then in more or less the same breath she told me that this would increase my chance for another UTI.

this seems a little counterintuitive on two points -- 1, the obvious one that it could easily lead to another UTI, which would just suck, (as well as increased risk of STDs and all that nasty stuff) and 2, that the spermicide is presumably there if the condom breaks, in which case i wouldn't wait around and let the spermicide take care of it but rather get my butt to the nearest MAP.

so, i think after all of this drivel my question is really should i follow my instinct (not to bother with this spermicide business), or listen to what she said? i'm simply trying to reconcile what this site says with the doctor's advice.

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the advice was well-intended, but a bit out of date. Before we knew that spermicide could increase risk of HIV transmission, and when we thought it was a bit more effective than it is, using it really did seem like a good idea. Still, I'd take an unwanted pregnancy over contracting HIV any day . . . I'd say go with your instincts.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 10 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's probably it, though it does worry me that college health care professionals are giving out somewhat outdated advice. thanks!
Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzybella6
Activist
Member # 9724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzybella6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just wanted to say that my older sister used to complain about her university health services too. She told me that they were all a bunch of old women who each told her different thigns all the time.

I'm not saying that there's something wrong with univeristy nurses! Just that I think despite training and stuff, nurses are just human women after all!

I think you should go without, too. I agree with the HIV/pregnancy thing!

Posts: 56 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spermicide is very similar to soap. Yup. It can cause irritation and like others have said, that can increase the risk of STD's. Scarleteen doesn't recommend using spermicides for this reason, however, we do recommend using 2 types of contraception together (condom and the pill) so that if the condom tears, you are still protected against pregnancy. Having said that, you would still be at risk from STDs so you would need to go to the clinic anyway.

I can understand why the nurse told you to use spermicide, because it is still recommended in sex ed classes at my school - but I think a better option would be to use a different type of backup birth control incase something goes wrong and remember to use plenty of lube to minimise the risk of a condom breaking. Hope this helps
*Badger*

------------------
You ain't nothing but a hedgehog, foraging all the time
You ain't nothing but a hedgehog, and you ain't no porcupine -- John Cooper Clarke

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.